AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modified on a Phrase Match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An agency was managing my account initially, but after less than significant results I'm managing it personally now.

Now that i'm looking into our keywords, I see some with a broad match modifier AND a phrase match on the same keyword. For example: +xyz" 

Also note that the " is only in the end, not in the beginning. My questions:

1) Was this a typo, or using both on the same word means something other than either a modified broad match OR a phrase match? Is there like a hybrid of two or something?

2) Weird observation: When I remove the ", and just have the broad match modifier on there, the quality socre drops from 8 to 6!! Any ideas why?

3) Coz of the higher quality score, I want to let it stay as it is - so in case it doesnt mean anything other than a broad match or a phrase match, will it affect the triggering of ads by this keyword? 

Thanks for all your help people!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modified on a Phrase Match?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Altamash,

1) I think there is a typo error. There is no such concept of hybrid keyword match types.

2) Removing the " makes it a new keyword and maybe as per Google, based on this new keyword past performance, this keyword deserves a quality score of 6

3) Since the system will consider this keywords as broad match modifier, the " will be considered as a character which is part of keyword. I think this will not have much affect in triggering the ad because only the word x play a major role in triggering the ads.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Broad Match Modified on a Phrase Match?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Altamash,

Google says they ignore all non-alphanumeric characters when matching up keywords. There is essentially no difference between +xyz and +xyz", except that the latter has history withing your account. When adding +xyz, the performance of that new keyword across all accounts is also considered. It's likely the QS for +xyz would improve after running for a while, but it will compete with +xyz" for impressions.

I would leave +xyz" in place and add +xyz. Let them both run for a while. See if you get impressions for both. If you do, run a search terms report on each and see what the difference is.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords