Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modified Targeting Industries - Advice

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like some advice on best practice for Broad Match Modified set up please. (assuming this is the best approach).

We sell - Time and Attendance Systems, Employee Scheduling Software, Absence Management Software etc (full suite of employee management systems).

On our site we have an industries section, dedicated to 12 industries: Healthcare, Construction etc. (12 individual pages).

For example - Construction Time and Attendance Systems is very low search volume. Advice on the best way to target industries within Adwords Search would be appreciated. (Based on our product offerings +specific industry).

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GlenBob
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Modified Targeting Industries - Advice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob, 

Do people actually search for these things by industry?  I can't imagine I would if I were looking for a time management software suite, I'd just search for that "time management software" (or whatever is more relevant to your products!).  I wouldn't think that I'd need to search for software specific to my industry.

It may be (it obviously is) that different industries will have different needs, but I would have thought the vast majority of searches will be for the general topic.  This would be my approach, Keyword for the general products, landing on a non-industry specific page, then examine over time to pull out any frequent, good performing, industry specific terms and put them in their own Group(s) with Ads pointing directly to those industry pages.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GlenBob
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob, 

Do people actually search for these things by industry?  I can't imagine I would if I were looking for a time management software suite, I'd just search for that "time management software" (or whatever is more relevant to your products!).  I wouldn't think that I'd need to search for software specific to my industry.

It may be (it obviously is) that different industries will have different needs, but I would have thought the vast majority of searches will be for the general topic.  This would be my approach, Keyword for the general products, landing on a non-industry specific page, then examine over time to pull out any frequent, good performing, industry specific terms and put them in their own Group(s) with Ads pointing directly to those industry pages.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Cobnut.

Thanks for the reply. I do agree very low search volumes and maybe it's not exactly how people search.

We do also runs ads based on products without industry. Reason why I mentioned this is because within my GA natural traffic there is some traffic, related to "product - my industry" so I thought I'd like to target this way as well.

& Yes - different industries do have different requirements.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob, Great top see you again;

I agree with Jon on that ;

My experience: in the B2B software / engineering / scientific / construction/ industries, which  are not searched often (most purchases are still based on "peer recommendations") - use a more general keywords. (Though keep the BMM - since users know what they are looking for and use the correct terminology.)

I think that is those fields, a campaign on the display (using topics; placements - if you know blog sites on these subjects ) - Is a must.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks and it's good to be back, I've been busy working on our new website for my job - comments are welcome, still some minor issues to fix such as customer images Smiley Happy I'm gonna get more involved with the community again as I have some free time now.

Thanks for the comments - currently we don't do display ads only display remarketing. I have a full suite of Google Display Banners designed so yes I will defo look into the GDN using placements. This weekend I am reconfiguring our Adwords to suit the new website.

Cheers,

Glen.