Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bring Ad to first page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This is Sahil from bookitforgetit(A tour operating company) offering holiday packages for various destinations in India and beyond. We are currently running our campaign on Google Adwords. Despite the best efforts for researching keywords, getting landing page developed and putting the right bid amount, our ad is occassionally showing on the search network and its ad position is consistently 2.3 or 3.2 etc?

How can we improve our ad campaign'e performance and enable our ads to show on first page?

Please kindly help.

Regards,

Sahil Nanda

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Bring Ad to first page

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sahil,

I totally agree with others and you should look into those factors. But I like to point out two things.

1) You want to come in to First Page or want to be on the Top of the Page. These are two different factors and the results are different. 

It seems like you want to be on the Top of the page. For this you can refer " Estimate Top Page Bid" metric and can bid accordingly. Refer this article for more info: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472742?hl=en

2) Why you want to be on the top of the page ( No 1 position) ?

Getting on the top of the page don't guarantee to bring you more conversions all the time. As per my experience, people do convert more in different positions than on the first position. Hence do a proper average position analysis before you make all the keywords to the Top Page Bid.

I also have few clients on Travel industry, but for some campaigns( based on the destination) they perform better on a bit lower position. So try what you hope to do and also think about this. Analyze and do the optimization.

If you really want to be on the top of the page, use automated rules. There is a rule called "increased keyword bids to top of page CPC", using this you can do what you need automatically.This save your time and you can scheduled to do this as you need. 

Refer this, this got a example how to automate to Top Of The Page.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en 

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sahil,

There are lot of aspects which have to be taken into consideration while you work on AdWords. Whether it is the keywords, their match types, ad copies, how you structure your account, and ultimately how's the website or the landing page being used.

So you need to give us more details so that we can provide specific insights on this.

Also how's the Quality Score and when you hover mouse over the speech bubble of individual keyword, what message are you getting? Does it say ad running or not? 

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Sahil,

While I agree with Pankaj on this, I will give you one advice here. If you are looking to just get your ads to rank on the 1st page, you can look at your keyword status column in the keywords tab and look for suggestions from Google AdWords which tell you the exact amount you need to bid for to get to the 1st page.

Just increase the bid as per Google's recommendations and you should be able to rank higher. But just keep in mind, by pushing your bids, you are open to recording clicks at higher CPC's. If you have targets in terms of CPC's, you may need to optimize your bids more often and try and balance them out.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It is perhaps worth pointing out that 2.3 - 3.2 is a first page placement.... from your comments it sounds as if you might think that 2.3 is page 2, third position... it's not - it is the average position of your ads - so a number appeared in 2nd place, and some in 3rd place - the average being 2.3..... so you are already appearing well on the first page.

Take a look at this article : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sahil,

I totally agree with others and you should look into those factors. But I like to point out two things.

1) You want to come in to First Page or want to be on the Top of the Page. These are two different factors and the results are different. 

It seems like you want to be on the Top of the page. For this you can refer " Estimate Top Page Bid" metric and can bid accordingly. Refer this article for more info: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472742?hl=en

2) Why you want to be on the top of the page ( No 1 position) ?

Getting on the top of the page don't guarantee to bring you more conversions all the time. As per my experience, people do convert more in different positions than on the first position. Hence do a proper average position analysis before you make all the keywords to the Top Page Bid.

I also have few clients on Travel industry, but for some campaigns( based on the destination) they perform better on a bit lower position. So try what you hope to do and also think about this. Analyze and do the optimization.

If you really want to be on the top of the page, use automated rules. There is a rule called "increased keyword bids to top of page CPC", using this you can do what you need automatically.This save your time and you can scheduled to do this as you need. 

Refer this, this got a example how to automate to Top Of The Page.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en 

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Pankaj,

Thanks for your feedback. Please kindly note that as a promoter of tour packages, we have designed a landing page :

http://www.bookitforgetit.com/keralapackage.aspx

We have selecting the keywords based on traffic estimates and used keyword planner in that. The ads are showing as currently running but I have right now paused the campaign due to not achieving the expected results.

I have tried to use the ad extensions to improve the quality but it seems that the principle is high quality score ads only for that extensions are shown.

The quality score it specifies for most keywords is 7 / 10. Average CTR, Ad Relevance and Landing page.

You can suggest me specific actions which we could take to improve our quality score and rank.

Regards,

Sahil Nanda
bookitforgetit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Shashank,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I am seeing the column of first page bid estimates and if i configure as per that then the number of clicks we recieve per day reduces. Since we are a start up and have limited funds on hand to invest in Google adwords.

I will still try to follow what you are saying and see if leads to good results for us.

Regards,

Sahil Nanda
bookitforgetit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve for the reply. I think my misconception about ad position has been removed now.

Regards,

Sahil Nanda
bookitforgetit team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ishara, how about on mobile device to be on top? Many thanks

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This older thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.