6.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Break down by location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having gone to the Keyword Planner to determine the number of searches for a particular keyword or set of words, the intention was to determine how many searches for a particular business/area; then to determine where those searches come from.

Example, the keywords "electrician lismore".  One would think of course that this would get a few searches, and it does.  Breaking that down by location, as the tab suggests, should give a fairly accurate idea of where the searches come from - one would think.  But when I put in Sydney and then Brisbane, the two largest and nearest cities, it showed the majority came from the cities.  First question is:  How reliable is this?

I question the reliability, because it defies my knowledge of the region where I live to think that the majority of searches for an electrician in a country town some 800 kilometres from Sydney would show that people in Sydney would be looking for an electrician in lismore.

So what am I not understanding here?

Re: Break down by location

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ashley, how are things?

I did some tests over here for the keyword you've mentioned "electrician lismore" for lismore, brisbane and sydney regions. I wasn't able to replicate your statement, the volume of search for me was 10 for lismore and brisbane, and 30 for Sydney.

Since you said "set of words" at the beginning, is there any chance that you weren't looking for the volume of that particular keyword? The keyword planner tends to be accurate and reliable, specially for SEO and Organic research.

If you could provide the exact set of words you were looking for, maybe we can have a more in-depth data on this.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is what I have just done: Sought search volume for keywords "electrician lismore" in the area Lismore New South Wales Australia, and the result is 10 searches on average a month. Then if I add Sydney New South Wales I get the response that there are 40 searches a month. Simply, that is impossible. It would seem to suggest that 30 searches a month on average for "electrician lismore" emanate from Sydney. Most people in Sydney don't even know where Lismore is, let alone search for an electrician in Lismore. I have added other regions such as a larger city in NSW, Coffs Harbour, and searched for "electrician Coffs Harbour" and the results were equally baffling. First it told me there were 20 average searches, 5% from that area, and the rest other cities. So I put in a couple of other cities and it gave me a different result again that all of the 20 came from Coffs Harbour. It defies the logic which is informed by local knowledge. Therefore, I must say, it appear to be unreliable in this case, and if unreliable in this case, how else is it unreliable?
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to just knock it, I want to get some verifiable data on which to base decisions.
In addition, this average of 10 searches a month, is that intended to mean that there are 10-20 searches, or 1-10, because 10 seems to be a very common number it throws up.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ashley,

From what I know, a lot of keywords, specially the very specific ones that have low search volume are often related to another keyword or a group of keyword. So for a very specific keyword like "electrician lismore", Google can understand that this is tied to Electrician subject and attribute the search volume of the context, and not necessarily the volume of the keyword alone. This is why usually people find some inconsistency.

I think that's the case for you. The keyword "electrician lismore" based on Sydney or Brisbane is probably tied to another set of keywords with the same context, and not necessarily on lismore per say, that's why you see bigger volume search.

Regarding the number 10, remember that this is an Average number. The volume search for this can have a lot of influence, specially from the things on the offline world. You can have months with just 5 searches and another one with 20 or more. 10 is just the average the Google found it safe to present.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click