AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Branded keyword match type impression expectations

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So I've seen that a good practice with branded keywords is to have them in separate groups/campaigns and then add the close exact/phrase match as negatives. 

e.g.

Campaign Exact:

[Cool Stuff]

Campaign Phrase:

"Cool Stuff"

Negative: [Cool Stuff]

Campaign BMM

+Cool+Stuff

Negative: "Cool Stuff"

If set up this way, it would be plausible for BMM to have the least amount of impressions, right? Obviously each situation is different  but just thinking most people will be typing in the branded term in the phrase or exact match (especially if exact isn't so exact anymore)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Colin L;

In this strategy you separate keywords by match types in different ad groups, not in different campaigns.

If set properly,  and you bid the highest on exact and the lowest on board, then  the broad match keywords will be attributed only to residual traffic (Users who might or might not convert  but you want them to visit the site)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Keep in mind that this strategy requires a whole lot of maintenance.  As you are adding new keywords to test, you have to think go back through and add all of your ad group level negatives.  I find that it can get very, very messy.  You also have to consistently check your search query reports to ensure the ads are properly triggering.  

I try to keep my ad groups tightly configured, but more structured around "topics" so that the ad copy is closely aligned to the ad group keywords.

**Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, and I've seen many people who prefer the strategy you are talking about.