AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Brand new user -- account suspended with no reason given?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a small, brand-new tour business in NYC. I have been open for a few months and just this week started to investigate advertising opportunities to bring in business. I received a discount for $100 in free advertising from my hosting provider, so I decided to give Adwords a try. My ads started running about three days ago, and I had my very first inquiry from a customer a day later, so I was very happy with my decision to try it out! Yesterday I added a few more ads, and today I woke up with an e-mail that my account had been suspended, with no reason given and no suggestions on how to improve or correct violations.

As I said, I am brand new to Adwords, but I read through all of their policies and I can't figure out what I did wrong. I have a nicely designed website that clearly lists all prices, contact information, etc. I'm not selling anything illegal or counterfeit. I have a small business offering walking tours of the city, and I'm fully licensed by the city to lead tours. I also have a master's degree in a related field.There is definitely nothing malware about it--I actually would not even know how to make malware if I tried!

The only thing I can figure out is that, without knowing it, I did something wrong in the setup process. There must definitely be a learning curve, because a lot of the things (daily bids, etc.) I just had to take a guess at. As far as I can tell you can advertise a tour business, because others seem to be doing it. Beyond that I can't figure out a reason, and the e-mail is a generic message, not one written specifically to me.

If someone could help me to better-understand what is going on, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Brand new user -- account suspended with no reason given?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi rdnyc19, can you share the URL of your website and landing page(s) with us?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure, it's:

www.seeknewyorkllc.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again rdnyc19, well, after a quick look I can't see anything about the site that should cause a suspension.  Can you copy out one of your ads for us to look at?

Are there any messages within your actual Adwords account that may give more information?  Can you see if your ads are disapproved (and any reason that may be given)?  Equally, have any keywords been disapproved (and any reason given)?

Are you using any brand/trademarked terms in any of your ads?

This notwithstanding, I'm a little concerned at your comment that you had to "take a guess" at some of the settings - Adwords really doesn't work well driven by guesswork and you could end up spending money with little return (although I appreciate at this stage you're just using a free voucher - and your ads aren't running anyway!).  If we can solve your suspension problem, I'd really recommend you spend some quality time here asking other questions!

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the text from my ads:

NYC Fashion & Style Tours

Manhattan shopping excursions

led by a professional stylist

NYC Garment District Tour

Shop for fabric, trims, and notions

with a professional designer

I don't think that gives away any identifying information as far as I can tell. When I signed up some of my keywords said they had "low traffic" or something along those lines--is that what you're talking about? They were fairly important to my business, so I figured even if they had low traffic they were worth keeping, as they're terms the type of client I'm looking for would be searching.

The red bar at the top says my account has been permanently disabled due to repeated violations in landing page or site policies, and a second bar says my billing information cannot be verified (as I said, I'm doing a free trial). If they're going to suspend an account so quickly, I think they at least owe me an e-mail detailing the violations/reason for suspension. As it is, I'm left with no way to attempt correction, nor do I even know what I'm supposed to correct in the first place.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi rdnyc19,

Low traffic simply means that the keyword isn't searched very often (in relative terms for Google) and would be no reason for any suspension.  The key points there are "repeated landing page/site policy" violations.

I have to ask, have you ever advertised this site before?  Has anyone else, to your knowledge?

Let me look into it a bit and I'll get back asap (or someone else will).

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, I've never advertised this site before. I've owned the domain since last summer (purchased through Bluehost), and as far as I know nobody was using it before me. I'm the only one with access to any sort of account information, so it's doubtful that anyone would be trying to advertise on my behalf.

I called customer service this morning and they seem to think this is a routine review of a new account and is nothing to worry about. The guy I spoke with said he didn't see anything in my ads, website, or payment settings that would trigger such a response. However, the strongly-worded e-mail (the subtext of which is basically, "go away and don't come back again") has me a bit worried, as well as the part about my payment information being incorrect.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in customer service. As I said, if I'm going to be penalized for what I can only assume is an honest mistake somewhere in the setup, the least they could do is offer a detailed explanation of what the violation was, instead of a generic mass e-mail that admonishes me without offering any way to correct the problem.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well, If Jon, a well experienced AdWords Contributor, has looked into your web site, and Google CS told you that it's a routine review - I would be much less worried.

I do agree, that the language in some of Google's emails needs to be revised and re-written. There is a considerable gap between the (sometimes) "harsh"/ "fierce" language, I have seen is some those emails, to the very good manners and attitude of the Googlers in reality... (Could be virtual world vs. real world... Smiley Wink)

Let's wait 48 hrs. for the review to be completed. Hopefully, you'll be back advertising your business. Keep us posted.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yup, it doesn't seem like I have much choice anyway but to wait and see what happens. But if this really just a routine review, I wish they'd have clarified that in the e-mail. There is a WORLD of difference between "all new accounts are subject to temporary review while we evaluate the contents of your site, and you'll be back up and running in a few days" (which is what they SHOULD have said!) instead of "your account is permanently suspended, you're prohibited from ever opening an account with us again, and heres where you go to get a refund on your remaining balance." As someone new to online advertising (and the business world in general) and trying to comply with every sort of rule and regulation to the best of my ability, an e-mail like that actually really upset me. Not a great way to start the day!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi rdnyc19,

I would pay particular attention to this message: "a second bar says my billing information cannot be verified". Even though you are using a $100 credit voucher form Google, you must provide valid payment information. Google's intention with the coupon is to get you to try AdWords, like the results, and continue advertising on their network(s). They're looking for a commitment from you to continue advertising if it works for you--that commitment is embodied in their requirement for valid billing information. If you are running "pre-paid", you must make a deposit. If you are running "post-paid", you must provide a valid credit card.

As I recall, Google will charge a nominal amount to your credit card to verify that it is valid. If that transaction fails, you'll need to provide another credit card.

To summarize, check your billing information and make sure it is valid, then request a re-review by calling support.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords