AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Brand new to Adwords: I have adwords gift card for $100 - what should I do with it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am brand new to adwords and was given a $100 google adwords gift card by my boss. I understand all the basics, but I don't get how the bidding works and how far my $100 will go. What's the best use of my $100? Should I try one or 2 keywords? What should I make my max bid amount? I'm a little overwhlemed. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Brand new to Adwords: I have adwords gift card for $100 - what should I do with it?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This all depends on how competitive your keywords are. The best thing to do is to figure out which area of your business will bring back the largest ROI. Then use Google keyword tool to research you ideas. Choose the keywords that are very tightly themed. If you are going to use broad match keywords I reccomend using the nroad match modifier this will help to keep you from showing up on relevant searches. This will help to keep your CTR higher which in turn will help keep cost down. Write related ads and point them to the most relevant pages on your site. Following these steps will help to keep your cost down and help to make the 100  go further.

Keyword tool

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS&__u=3311096249&__c=175...

Match types

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

hope this helps Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Brand new to Adwords: I have adwords gift card for $100 - what should I do with it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello amybernstein4; Welcome;

My answer will be short - but there will be a lot to read if you follow; Smiley Happy

Start by doing some reading listed in the wiki articles section of the community; Great efforts were made to write these articles based on advertisers personal experience;

Check them out ( AdWords wiki, on the upper navigation bar ---->setup and basics )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As you learn AdWords, make sure you understand the network settings.  Maybe start with just Google search advertising and skip the search partner network and the display network.  Once you've figured out your keywords and understand the match types, bidding, ad rotation, etc, then opt back into the search partners network.  Save the display network for later.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This all depends on how competitive your keywords are. The best thing to do is to figure out which area of your business will bring back the largest ROI. Then use Google keyword tool to research you ideas. Choose the keywords that are very tightly themed. If you are going to use broad match keywords I reccomend using the nroad match modifier this will help to keep you from showing up on relevant searches. This will help to keep your CTR higher which in turn will help keep cost down. Write related ads and point them to the most relevant pages on your site. Following these steps will help to keep your cost down and help to make the 100  go further.

Keyword tool

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS&__u=3311096249&__c=175...

Match types

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

hope this helps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Correction:

showing up on relevant  I meant irrelevant! Sorry typo

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello amybernstein4; Welcome;

My answer will be short - but there will be a lot to read if you follow; Smiley Happy

Start by doing some reading listed in the wiki articles section of the community; Great efforts were made to write these articles based on advertisers personal experience;

Check them out ( AdWords wiki, on the upper navigation bar ---->setup and basics )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As you learn AdWords, make sure you understand the network settings.  Maybe start with just Google search advertising and skip the search partner network and the display network.  Once you've figured out your keywords and understand the match types, bidding, ad rotation, etc, then opt back into the search partners network.  Save the display network for later.