AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Brand Traffic Spikes on a Different Day

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm noticing a weird trend for my branded traffic's weekly cadence:

Lead gen, search remarketing and PLA: traffic picks up on Saturday, peaks on Sunday and then tapers off throughout the week

Branded: traffic picks up on Sunday, peaks on Monday and then tapers off throughout the week.

What is the correlation here? My vision of branded is that it's a glorified remarketing campaign (unless you're a household name people don't know you unless you've visited the site before), so it makes sense that if we're getting the majority of our lead gen (regular text ads & PLA) traffic on Sunday then they could be coming back on brand the next day and continually following this cadence. But since remarketing peaks on Sunday like the others I'm stumped.

I'm open to all feedback regarding this!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Brand Traffic Spikes on a Different Day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Johnny - I would recommend looking at your other channels as well. If you're running email campaigns, television ads, radio spots, etc. those could be creating brand search volume and in my experience they spike the day the promotion runs and slightly the day following. The taper is quite fast after that. Anything like that going on?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would say this is somehow related to uses' behavior, But users' behavior is strongly dependent on the product, location, culture... So without more details It would be hard to analyze.

However, the bottom line;  if this behavior is consistent, no mater what the reason, allocate your budget and campaign settings/ scheduling/ bidding  to address this trend...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Johnny, what does the paths report in Analytics show?  This report might help you understand user behaviour over time.

I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly but if your Branded traffic peaks after all the others I'd say that was understandable since, as you say, it's effectively a reflection of people remembering your name so it will come after your other forms of marketing have peaked and perhaps especially Remarketing since these Ads (I presume you're talking about Remarketing on the GDN) are those that hammer home a brand name most effectively.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Jon - thanks for the feedback. The remarketing I mentioned was search remarketing (RLSA), so that's why I was thrown off a bit. Branded however is in nature slightly different from a regular category RLSA campaign as those coming through on RLSA are browsing and searching as if they would on lead gen. The only difference would branded is that since the traffic consistently peaks literally the next day they may be searching for my brand right away the following day.

1) Do you know how I can verify the time difference between when an RLSA person clicked on the second remarketing ad vs. when the cookie was generated? I'd want to do this with branded but it doesn't seem possible to link the second (branded) click to the original (category) first click.

2) I'm not that familiar with GA. Are you talking about the Users Flow tab under Audience? I'd need to tie this flow back to a campaign.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Johnny,

Getting data about the time period between first visit and RLSA is, I think, going to be tricky.  GA has a couple of reports that deal with returning visitors (under Audience -> Behaviour, Frequency & Recency, and under Conversions - > Multi-Channel Funnels ,Top Conversion Paths, for example) but none that I'm aware of that can produce figures for the gap between one specific Campaign and another.

The only way I can think of getting this data (unless I've missed something in GA, which is entirely possible) is to create multiple Remarketing lists with different expiry days and then use Custom Combinations to produce lists that represent a single day.  For example, if you had a list that expired after 10 days and combined it to exclude a list that had an expiry of 9 days, in theory you'd end up with a list consisting of people who visited your site exactly 10 days ago.  With enough lists you could then get an idea of the time lag.  The problem with this is that you need 1000 cookies for an RLSA list to work so unless you're getting quite a lot more than 1000 visitors a day, your lists won't be large enough.

The most interesting report in GA for tracking user clicks is in the Conversions section, Multi-Channel-Funnels, Top Conversion Paths (or you can look at a similar report in AdWords under the Conversions menu).  This will show you the "path" the user took to conversion, for example, 2 clicks on this Campaign, then 1 on that one, then another on the first one, then a conversion.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits