1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate and time on site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi , I have a question about time spent on my site.

From analytics it is showing taht all 30 visitors spent 0 seconds on my site with 100% bounce rate. I am aware that this sounds bad and I have checked the landing page and keyword searched for etc...

However, could someone clarify if these visitors could have spent a long time on my site and the bounce rate and visitor time is recorded he way it is because they havent clicked on any other pages. Since all of the information is contained on the landing page could this not be classed as a good thing?

Also what is the definition of bounce rate?

Any help appreciated.

Steven

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Bounce rate and time on site

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi SJMQUICK123,

marketsharer is correct on this question. There is (normally) no way to track how long a visitor viewed a particular page if that visitor clicks on no internal links on your site.

You could install a script for the page unload event that would track a pageview when the user exits the page. It can be a little tricky, so I won't post an example. The trick being you don't want to record the exit if the user clicks on an internal link.

And it also depends on the version of the GA code you are using. What you are looking for is event tracking. The code can be as simple as this:

<body  onunload-="pageTracker.trackPageview('Exit')">

This code alone would result in the page "Exit" recording a hit when ever the visitor leaves your page, including if the visitor clicks on an internal link. I'd have to do a little digging to find out how to detect that link click, so I will leave it to you and your programmer for now.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steven, a good question!

As far as the bounce rate is concerned I guess it's possible that a visitor may get all they need from one page so have no need to go anywhere else but as far as I know, they should then still have a time on the page.  I don't know exactly how the tracking code works but I'm pretty sure it's not a timer that onlyworks when you move between pages - in other words you should see a time even if they only visit one page.

Bounce rate is the ratio of visitors who visit more than one page to those that visit just one.  So if you have 100 visitors to a site and 30 of them visit only one page, that's a bounce rate of 30%.  Note that the "dashboard" initially shows a rate for the entire site, which can be useful but may also be misleading.  You can also see rates for individual pages.  Note that because (hopefully) Google has indexed all your pages - and especially if using Adwords to direct visitors to a specific landing page - it's the bounce rate of that page that's important, not necessarily the rate for the site overall, e.g. your site overall may have a bounce rate of 30%, but your Adwords landing page only 5%.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I always was told  Analytics can not measure the time spend on the last page.

Which would lead to no time-on-page registration for a bounching visitor.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi SJMQUICK123,

marketsharer is correct on this question. There is (normally) no way to track how long a visitor viewed a particular page if that visitor clicks on no internal links on your site.

You could install a script for the page unload event that would track a pageview when the user exits the page. It can be a little tricky, so I won't post an example. The trick being you don't want to record the exit if the user clicks on an internal link.

And it also depends on the version of the GA code you are using. What you are looking for is event tracking. The code can be as simple as this:

<body  onunload-="pageTracker.trackPageview('Exit')">

This code alone would result in the page "Exit" recording a hit when ever the visitor leaves your page, including if the visitor clicks on an internal link. I'd have to do a little digging to find out how to detect that link click, so I will leave it to you and your programmer for now.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords