AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Blocked an IP - Still see ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am having an issue. I went to "Campaigns -> Networks -> Exclusions -> Manage IP Address exclusions (advanced)", and I entered in my computer's IP Address. I used * in the fourth set of numbers in order to block out the whole area in case my computer changes IP Address. However, immediately after creating that exclusion, I google a keyword and saw my ad.

Why isn't it being blocked? Is my computer changing IP Addresses? If I did this for another IP Address , would it work? Does it take time for the change to take effect?

Justin

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jdscottjds
September 2015

Re: Blocked an IP - Still see ads

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Justin,

I would certainly suggest to contact the Adwords support Team so that they can really diagnose why is it not blocking the IP which you want. You can follow this link to get in touch with them.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again, Justin.

I have performed an experiment myself.

• Excluded my IP as described here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=61493, after I checked it with whatsmyip.org.
  • One minute later, the ad was still showing
  • 45 minutes later, the ad was no longer showing, on the Search Network (that's where I can test)
  • In the Ad Preview, however, the ad is still showing, as it ignores IP exclusion (which means that if you want to spy on your competition, you have to use the tool, not regular searches where they may block your IP).

Try it yourself, please, by following the above steps, and by checking that the excluded IP is the one you're currently using.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Justin.

Changes are not immediate. Give it an hour or so and then try again, you'll see it'll be blocked by that time.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Justin,

It takes liitle time as Calin said. So, once the Adwords settles down with your settings, then you should expect the desired results. As a matter of suggestion, I would strongly encourage you to use the Ad Preview Tool rather than using live search engine to see your ads. It's always a good practice to use the Tool which Adwords has given for real time results. 

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys. Thank you for the answers. Unfortunately, the ads are still showing, and it has been about 36 hours since I blocked the ads on my IP. Why is it doing this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different way you should block them or an additional step that needs to be taken to block the IP Addresses?

Also, if I block an IP Address, will we be able to see the ad on the ad preview on the blocked IP Addresses?

Thanks,

Justin

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jdscottjds
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Justin,

I would certainly suggest to contact the Adwords support Team so that they can really diagnose why is it not blocking the IP which you want. You can follow this link to get in touch with them.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again, Justin.

I have performed an experiment myself.

• Excluded my IP as described here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=61493, after I checked it with whatsmyip.org.
  • One minute later, the ad was still showing
  • 45 minutes later, the ad was no longer showing, on the Search Network (that's where I can test)
  • In the Ad Preview, however, the ad is still showing, as it ignores IP exclusion (which means that if you want to spy on your competition, you have to use the tool, not regular searches where they may block your IP).

Try it yourself, please, by following the above steps, and by checking that the excluded IP is the one you're currently using.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to both of you. I will call Google tomorrow or when I have a chance to diagnose the issue.

And thank you for the research. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWiser:

I hate to revive this topic, but I myself blocked an IP Address so it stopped appearing in the Google Search. However, it no longer showed up in the Ad Preview tool! I was embarrassed when I was showing my employer that trick, and it did not work. Is there something that can be messing it up?