2.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bit Worried About Spending too Much

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all, I have recently setup a photography website and stumbled across Adwords as a way to promote it.  I dont have a huge budget, well in fact I dont really have a budget at all but thought I would try for a week or so.

Im not really sure how the pricing works, I set a daily budget of $5 but i read I can be charged more than that? I dont want to be spending fortunes I just want to see if this actually gets me more visitors to my site.

Can I also stop this at any time?  

Im just worried about the cost!.

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bit Worried About Spending too Much

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Lee,
No worries. Adwords is a Successful online Advertising system, but what matters the success of campaigns is how well you set up the campaigns and how specifically your are targeting the potential audience.

Adwords will only charge you what budget you set. If you set daily budget of $5 it will only charge that $5 only then after reaching that budget it will stop showing your ad obviously it won't charge you.

I hope this helps you.. !

Thank you and Regards.
John Paul
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Lee,

In addition to John spot on advice, I would like add here AdWords is very flexible in lot of aspects. but I highly recommend to study the product before testing this out. It's complex for new users and you might end up loose money and feel AdWords is not profitable. This is the case with many new advertisers. With best knowledge about the product you will be able to bring profit out of it.

You can start and stop campaign anytime. Make sure your all settings under campaign are correct. If you are targeting certain country or city or region, make sure you target that only under your campaign. For example: if you provide services in California, there is no point targeting whole of USA.

Now Let's talk about budget and overspending. In your case you have spent budget as $5, there is a chance you spent upto 20% more. Google multiply daily budget by 30.4 which means $152. You won't spend more then $152 in month. but on daily basis only 20% over delivery is possible.

You also set bids for each keyword in your campaign, you will not be charged more then your set keyword bid for sure. If you set your max cpc for keywords $1, you won't pay more then this for each click.

Here are some important material I advice you to go through before starting up with the campaign:

AdWords Step by Step - www.google.com/adwords/pdf/step_by_step.pdf
Growing AdWords - www.google.com/adwords/pdf/hc/growing_adwords_en.pdf
AdWords YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUXBVLQSWhw

Hope above helps! Please let us know if you have more queries!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lee,

Welcome to the community. It is very much understood that you do not wish to spend too much on AdWords. And you can certainly achieve your goals within your set budget. You just have to set a right campaign with right targeting methods. Let's begin the process.

1) Create an ad copy that matches your website landing page or the page where you wish to take your visitors.
2) If you have created a separate landing page for your ad, make sure it clarifies the objective of your ad to the visitors with clear call to action.
3) Choose keywords that are popular within your industry. You can use keyword planner to get several keyword ideas for your ad.
4) Regularly track your spending and keyword performance to avoid excessive budget spending.
5) All these will help you achieve maximum ROI within your set limit.
6) Most importantly, Please give some time to your ad until it gets your some results. Don't be in a hurry.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee S
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lee S,
First I would like to let you know about overdelivery.

a> Overdelivery is when AdWords shows your ad more than what your budget would normally allow. And this can help make up for those days when your ad doesn't show very much.

b> When overdelivery happens, your total daily cost could be up to 20% more than your average daily budget. But in a complete monthly billing period, you'll never be charged more than your monthly charging limit -- the average number of days in a month (30.4) multiplied by your average daily budget.

So In your case you have to pay $5 * 30.4 max in 30 days period.

Yes you can stop at any time.

I hope it helps you.

Thanks
Santosh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Also.... just bear in mind one thing.... in addition to spending too much we can also make the mistake of spending too little.

Try to concentrate on the results for your business. Depending upon the level of competition you may find that if you limit your spend to $5 you might only be picking up the clicks that no-one else wants (perhaps not expressed in the best possible way, but I'm sure you get my drift).

Testing is important and I would certainly recommend - at least once - taking a week's worth of budget and spending it in one day - so run $35 for one day, and see what happens. If you find that with $5 a day you can only get a couple of clicks, and they are from ads that were in position 7 - then you are not doing yourself, or the Adwords platform, justice.

I know this is easy to say when it's not my money, but it's not so much about what you spend, but more about what you get back.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Lee,

I must say that you have already received some of the great advises above Smiley Happy!

I would suggest you to think AdWords as any other business opportunity where initially you have to invest to see whether it is growing or going down. Of course AdWords is such an excellent advertising platform that it gives you flexibility to choose the budget which you want, schedule your ad what time you want your ads to run and many other technical features.

But as suggested above, you should first have some basic understanding of how AdWords works.

Here's an excellent user article by  Cobnut which I must encourage you to read before you go into the details of AdWords: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Where-to-Start-I-Before-you-begin-with-AdWords...

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lee S
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Lee,

Some great suggestions from the Community! 

I just want to add one small note - don't forget to pause your campaign when you want your ads to stop running. You have to manually change the status from enabled to paused, otherwise the ads will continue to run and accrue costs. 

Good luck, and let us know if you have any additional questions!