4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bids

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well, after 2 more weeks testing my keywords, the best performing one went from estimated top of page bid of $1.00 on Monday to $5.03 by Friday. Leaves my strategy, my ad design and approach as well as my entire campaign in ruins due to a ridiculous price. 

Is a 500% increase in 5 days a normal occurrence?

I have watched the videos, read the papers, sought advice and suggestions and I am wondering what if anything comes next.

Any comments or advice?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bids

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Stewart,

I find this very unusual. Unless there has been a major reason to increase the competition by 500% in the filed you advertise I can' think about a reason for that change. Just to understand your situation while your bid on $1 on Monday what was your ad position? and in the same bid what is your ad position now?

And have you done any changes to your campaign during this time period?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nisal, I have 4 sets of keywords, all with exact, phrase and broad versions, so 12 keywords in total. Keyword #1 has gone up 310% since Monday this week. KW#3 has gone up 403%; KW#4 has gone up 247% and KW10 has gone up 235%

It doesn't seem right to me. I could just delete these 4 keywords. The ranking is similar around 5/6 and I have been using the same keywords, settings etc for 4 weeks. Is there anything else I can try?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I think you are trying automatic bidding right? have you tried changing in to manual bidding and adding earlier bids and see what will be your ad position and quality score compared to automatic bidding?

I usually don't use automatic bidding but in the instance I use sometime i have seen slight changes in bids but nothing massive like this.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree with @Nisal L ;

Switch off auto-bidding and increase bid gradually. The system, like any system, prefers gradual / moderate changes.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Stewart

2 things quick...

1. What are your keyword quality scores?
As you load a keyword it generally gets a default high quality score (which means that you pay much less to rank higher) but as times goes and Google is able to evaluate the keyword in your account, the QS will generally decrease.
To fix this check the reason you have a low QS.
A temporary quick-fix is to change your keyword match type - this ALWAYS results in a higher QS (though it will decrease again).

2. Don't worry too much about the Estimated Top of Page bid.

Worry more about your keyword's actual average position. Remember that Google is trying to make money here and the algorithm calculating this figure is meant to make sure that this happens.

If your ad ranks in position 1 anyways - there is no point in increasing the bid - yet.

PS, you can also see how you rank compared to your competition if you select the Details button (after Edit), select Auction Insight and All...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Guys, I am not doing auto bids, I have had my bids fixed at $2.20 max. My quality scores have settled down to mainly 7's with a couple of 8's. I am wondering if I should just delete those keywords that have gone mad. A Google expert told me not to pause them but change the bid down to $0.05 to preserve the CTR history.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Rainer, I don't know if you see the responses I do to other posts but I am happy with my quality scores. 7's and 8's. I thought the estimated top of page bid was a very important figure to get right. Nobody wants to pay more than we should but it seems there is no end to the greediness.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
So, If you don't have an auto - bid how did the bid reach that high level?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stewart
I've just seen your comment now.
Have you checked the time of day report or day of week reports for your keywords?
It's quite possible that the time of the day that you were checking the report was the most expensive time of the day (generally around 7 am to 9 am). If you schedule your adverts to only show during the cheaper times of the day this should bring down the costs considerably.

In terms of bringing the bids down to just $0.05... you'll see that very soon that CTR turns to 0% as there are no clicks taking place on the keywords.
I'm not sure what your Google expert was referring to here?