AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding under the minimum "viewable CPM" bid

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In my country the minimum CPM bid would be 0.75 ron ~= 0.23 $

If I launch a "viewable CPM" campaign with active view on the entire country and than bid for the location targeting with "decrease 50%" will it mean that I can bid under the minimum bid and I will still receive some impressions ?

When I have set this up there was no warning that by setting a 50% decrease the campaign will not work as the bids will be effectively under the minimum CPM bid.

Why am I attempting this ? Because the client has only keyword targeting and is estimated to receive around 100-150.000 impressions per day costing aroung 75 ron and of course wants to know if they can pay less than this.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Amy C (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Bidding under the minimum "viewable CPM" bid

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Great question - I definitely understand your client’s interest in bidding below the minimum CPM bid, and I am happy to answer your question.

If you did not receive a warning message, when you set a 50% decrease on location targeting, then it appears that yes, you can effectively bid below the minimum CPM bid of 0.75 ron.

This being said, I would be pleasantly surprised if this campaign receives impressions, since you are bidding below the minimum. You are welcome to give this a shot, but you will most likely need to remove the -50% bid adjustment in order to garner impressions.

Feel free to respond to post if you have any further questions.

Best,
Amy

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Adrian, 

Our support team are looking into this for you and will be back in touch as soon as they have an answer for you. 

Thanks, 

Hannah

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I tested this yesterday and it does not work, even if there is no warning in the interface because a location bid decrease will decrease the CPM bid below the minimum. No impressions were generated in around 12 hours.

Only after I changed today the location bid adjustment to make the bid above the minimum in an hour impressions started to be generated.

There should be a warning for decreasing the location bids too much in the case of CPM.

Thank you

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Amy C (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Great question - I definitely understand your client’s interest in bidding below the minimum CPM bid, and I am happy to answer your question.

If you did not receive a warning message, when you set a 50% decrease on location targeting, then it appears that yes, you can effectively bid below the minimum CPM bid of 0.75 ron.

This being said, I would be pleasantly surprised if this campaign receives impressions, since you are bidding below the minimum. You are welcome to give this a shot, but you will most likely need to remove the -50% bid adjustment in order to garner impressions.

Feel free to respond to post if you have any further questions.

Best,
Amy