AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding on competitor keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently started seeing some ads showing up when we type our brand name into Google. We do have a trademark on our brand name but they are not using it in the ads, they are using our brand as a keyword to bid on. What are some of the best ways to combat this? Do I need to create a campaign around out brand name to drive them out? I would imagine, or hope anyway, that their quality score would be low and it would be very expensive for them to bid. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon C
June 2016

Re: Bidding on competitor keywords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi,

As advised by the experts here that it's best practice to bid on brand keywords.
Additionally you can bid high(aggressive) on your brand keywords as you are the brand owner, you will have the advantage of this with high ad-rank with less bids than other competitors.

Marketing for self becomes a necessity if competitors are selling similar products using your brand name.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Brandon,

Some options:

1. Create a brand campaign - it's one of the best ways to beat competitors bidding on your brand, drive more conversions to your site and measure the interest in your brand over time
2. Bid right back at them - I'd advise a separate AdWords account for competitor campaigns. If they say 10% off, you say 20% off (if that's true)
3. Reach out to them - just drop them an email, tell them it's no good for anyone if you're bidding on each other and agree to put an end to it (this happens a lot with companies, especially airlines where there's a gentleman's agreement)

Hope this helps!

Ali

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Brandon,

Bidding on your own brand name is almost mandatory for every advertiser. Hence you are advised to do so whatever your intention is.

>>> What are some of the best ways to combat this? <<<

I'd not suggest you to embark on combating. Though not very polite, the practice is not banned either. I'd rather advise you to write a polite email to your competitor asking them to stop it. However, please also factor in, that just because their copy is displayed on the SERP when you key in your brand name as as Search Term, it does no necessarily imply that they are bidding on your brand name. It may also happen that one of the keywords they are bidding on is simply matching your brand name under the scope of the broad matching option.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Brandon C;

Bidding on a competitor's name (as a keyword) is a well known and a legitimate practice by  of competitors;

You should also bid your brand name. When bidding on the brand as a keyword,  I recommend a unique ad-copy with  a special promo offering, and   adding all ad-extensions available, to gain visibility.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Lakatos - have you ever sent an email like this? Would love to see an example.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I would NOT advise contacting a competitor. Since the practice is well established, unlikely that it will be stopped, and you will not be able to do much, if the answer is "no". So, I don't see the benefit that this "friendly communication".
My 2 pennies...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Sure, I might be wrong here. However, it may also be a question of taste or attitude. As a rule I prefer a friendly approach, even if it is not always effective.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon C
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi,

As advised by the experts here that it's best practice to bid on brand keywords.
Additionally you can bid high(aggressive) on your brand keywords as you are the brand owner, you will have the advantage of this with high ad-rank with less bids than other competitors.

Marketing for self becomes a necessity if competitors are selling similar products using your brand name.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What's the best way to determine the correct "aggressive" or high bid?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think what Archit meant was that you could bid $2 and only pay $0.50 on your own brand since your quality score will be so high, meaning a competitor would have to bid $4-8 just to be seen underneath your brand and even then they'd likely pay close to $8 because of their own keyword quality score.

Start high and optimize is always my preference. If a CPC is high, look at why Smiley Wink