AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Bid ajustments or Automatics rules

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Please, what do you on this matter for special offers for instance, to use bid adjustement scheduled  or setting an automatic rules , looks pretty the same , isn't ?

Tks for you tips..

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Re: Bid ajustments or Automatics rules

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

One difference in scheduling bids acording to day parts is that with 

a) bid adjustments at the schedule level, campaign level, you are altering bids for all keywords in the campaign, or all bids if it is a Display Campaign

b) automate rules, you are altering only some elements , in a different degree AND with upper limits.

For example you have some keywords with a max cpc of 1 $ and some with 3$ , when you use campaign bid adjustments to increase by 30%, those keywords will have maxcpc of 1.3$ and 4$ but with automated rules you can specify an upper limit of 3.5 $ and the result is an increase of 1.3 $ and 3.5 $.

Automated rules represent more control : you may want daily bid adjustment to be set only for keywords which didn't accrue too much cost during the day or for placements with less than x impressions to avoid turning the budget over to just a few targeting elements and letting the other targeting with no budget for the day.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

It actually depends upon what you are comfortable with.

For me, first of all creating a separate campaign for special offers should be the choice. Reason being that it's not the normal campaign which you are running everyday but a Special Offer campaign, which will tend to have special ads, special offer related keywords and most importantly the Time Limit since you are not going to give special offers for lifetime but for limited time as per my understanding.

So your plan of action as per my understanding should be new campaign running for the time slot which is the best as per your business/service and you can choose the bid adjustment if you want. The main motive of Adwords is to give as much flexibility to the advertiser as they can in terms of various interface options, functionalities and then it totally depends on the advertiser or the account manager as to choose which feature will work best for him and which not. It's all about experimentation.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

One difference in scheduling bids acording to day parts is that with 

a) bid adjustments at the schedule level, campaign level, you are altering bids for all keywords in the campaign, or all bids if it is a Display Campaign

b) automate rules, you are altering only some elements , in a different degree AND with upper limits.

For example you have some keywords with a max cpc of 1 $ and some with 3$ , when you use campaign bid adjustments to increase by 30%, those keywords will have maxcpc of 1.3$ and 4$ but with automated rules you can specify an upper limit of 3.5 $ and the result is an increase of 1.3 $ and 3.5 $.

Automated rules represent more control : you may want daily bid adjustment to be set only for keywords which didn't accrue too much cost during the day or for placements with less than x impressions to avoid turning the budget over to just a few targeting elements and letting the other targeting with no budget for the day.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

It actually depends upon what you are comfortable with.

For me, first of all creating a separate campaign for special offers should be the choice. Reason being that it's not the normal campaign which you are running everyday but a Special Offer campaign, which will tend to have special ads, special offer related keywords and most importantly the Time Limit since you are not going to give special offers for lifetime but for limited time as per my understanding.

So your plan of action as per my understanding should be new campaign running for the time slot which is the best as per your business/service and you can choose the bid adjustment if you want. The main motive of Adwords is to give as much flexibility to the advertiser as they can in terms of various interface options, functionalities and then it totally depends on the advertiser or the account manager as to choose which feature will work best for him and which not. It's all about experimentation.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adiran and pankaj..

Both your reponses complement each other, tks a lot.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again,

In fact, you can cumulate both bid adjustments & automatics rules ?

Bid abjustment with :

- Madrid : + 15 %

- Monday : +15 %

Automatic rules :

- Ad group or Kw level : +15 % to target a position for instance

Total amount : + 45 %

Correct ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think those values get multiplied not added so it is more like ( 1.15 ) x 1.15 x 1.15 = 1.520875

And check frequently what the automated rules have done in the Logs, there is no warning when they increase the cost of a keyword too much. Also set an email alert for the avg. cpc values , you have the option by ad group to "Send email when"

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks Adrian..

Okthe principle is then  cumulative no addional , so you're right, an alert should be implemented to avoid Bankruptcy !