AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best solution for this Exact Match with Close Variants scenerio?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If I want my ad to show for:

[buy l-series car]

[buy l series car]

[buy lseries car]

and also the plural versions:

[buy l-series cars]

[buy l series cars]

[buy lseries cars]

and let's say the most popular used search query is [buy l-series cars], should I just use this keyword and set it to exact match with close variants, or should I set up all 6 keyword variants with each one set to exact match without close variants?

My concerns are:

1) I want to make sure my ad shows for every single variant

2) I don't want to compete against myself

3) I want to have the highest ad position possible for each variant

What do you guys recommend as the best approach for this scenerio?

*** These keywords are just examples I'm using to illustrate my dillema. I'm not usuing these keywords specifically but I am facing this specific scenrio with some other keywords***

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best solution for this Exact Match with Close Variants scenerio?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
If a specific variant has a better CTR than the average CTR, - would break down this keyword and list all variants.

However,  in general, I would favor "include closed variant", otherwise you might end with endless long list of keywords  is hard to control and manage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks MosheTLV for the reply.

So does breaking down the variants of a keyword, like in my example, improve the ad position for a variant since it would match out 100%, like if someone searches [buy lseries car] and I have that exact keyword instead of relying on keyword [buy l-series cars] set to EM with close variants?

And since I'm new to this, It's not clear to me your suggestion that "if a specific variant has a better CTR than the average CTR, - would break down this keyword and list all variants."

Would you be able to expand on your answer using my example keywords?
And when you say "average CTR" are you referring to the average CTR of the most popular keyword in my example (which would be [buy l-series cars])? What specific average are you talking abou (sorry this is my first time working with AdWords and I haven't launched my campaign yet so I don't know if this is obvious).

I appreciate your help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
By saying, "the average CTR", I mean, the average CTR of the ad-group in which the keyword is listed.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’