AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google's AdWords policy page makes it clear that "Redirects used for tracking purposes are fine as long as the final landing page has the same domain as the display URL." - can anyone suggest any best practices for doing these redirects?  

Re: Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Simply, the page you redirect to must be hosted on the same domain. I make an example.

I have an ad which has

DISPLAY DOMAIN -> myname.ext

and obviously, following Google AdWords Policies, also my "click-URL" is hosted on the same domain. Assume your click- URL opens a page that redirects to another one. If it redirects always to a page hosted on "myname.ext", no problem. Otherwise, if this page redirects to another domain, you violate Google AdWords Policies.

Re: Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Certainly, I understand that the display and the final destination URL must match. I'm not asking how not to violate policy - I'm asking how to go from "good" redirects to "great" redirects  ; )

For instance, I know that a 301 or 302 redirect will not set a Google Analytics/AdWords cookie on the user's browser for the redirected domain (which is necessary for conversion tracking) - so if I want a Google cookie set before the redirect, I must use a client-side (JavaScript) redirect, right? And, if I use JS redirect, will that be bad for my quality score?