AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google's AdWords policy page makes it clear that "Redirects used for tracking purposes are fine as long as the final landing page has the same domain as the display URL." - can anyone suggest any best practices for doing these redirects?  

Re: Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Simply, the page you redirect to must be hosted on the same domain. I make an example.

I have an ad which has

DISPLAY DOMAIN -> myname.ext

and obviously, following Google AdWords Policies, also my "click-URL" is hosted on the same domain. Assume your click- URL opens a page that redirects to another one. If it redirects always to a page hosted on "myname.ext", no problem. Otherwise, if this page redirects to another domain, you violate Google AdWords Policies.

Re: Best practices for "redirects for tracking purposes"?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Certainly, I understand that the display and the final destination URL must match. I'm not asking how not to violate policy - I'm asking how to go from "good" redirects to "great" redirects  ; )

For instance, I know that a 301 or 302 redirect will not set a Google Analytics/AdWords cookie on the user's browser for the redirected domain (which is necessary for conversion tracking) - so if I want a Google cookie set before the redirect, I must use a client-side (JavaScript) redirect, right? And, if I use JS redirect, will that be bad for my quality score?