AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best practice for naming display ad groups

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

What´s your best practice for naming ad groups targeting managed placements in the display network ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best practice for naming display ad groups

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

"Best practices" or what we as account mangers would do?

I tend to name adgroups things like US English Text CPC (KW targeting) 5-13-12, for example. Others may name the adgroup widgets, for example. The name of your adgroups or campiagns has ZERO effect on the perfromance of your account. Name your adgroups and campaigns whatever works best for you - You're the one who has to manage the account. Who cares whether your naming conventions are the same as someone else's or not. Smiley Happy

Tom

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, names of adgroups have no effect on ranking or costs, but they can have a huge impact when it comes to working effectively. Having a well structured, easy to find in account structure is decisive to being succesful with AdWords I think.

US English Text CPC (KW targeting) 5-13-12 - is this an example of a name of an adgroup? What does the figuers express? And KW targeting means contextual targeting?

When using contextual targeting I think the choice of name is pretty easy: you name it something similar to the theme of the keywords in the adgroup.

But what about managed placements (without contextual targeting)

I tend to call them someting like "General" or "Most relevant" or "High bids". But I have a feeling there is a better way to do it. Sometimes I give them names considering the domain they are targeting ("youtube, nyt"), but then again, if I move a domain out of that adgroup, or if I add a domain, the name doesn´t express the real thing anymore and my account get un-structured.

Of course I could easily re-name the adgroup, but then again the statistics for that adgroup will be divided into 2 adgroups in Analytics, which also makes interpretation cumbersome.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would go with main keyphrase-abreviations of manage placements. Depending how many managed placesments you have of course.

Otherwise labels is a better option.

Here is a article on that http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/04/slice-and-dice-your-data-using-adwords.html

Google Regional Trainer chosen by Google

With over 8 years experience in AdWords and Qualified. From South Africa.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I name my campaigns (and ad groups) such as:

- US - Display - Managed Placements - Product Group

- US - Display - Auto + Keywords - Product Group

- US - Display - Topics Targeting - Product Group

- US - Display - Interest categories - Product Group

- US - Display - Remarketing - Product Group

or even use shortcuts such as MP, Auto + Kw, TT, IC.

In any case, I want to see the network, targeting method and the targeted product group in the campaign name. But then I work with many campaigns and many ad groups, and some naming convention is absolutely necessary if sanity is to be preserved.

Also, when advertising specific products (E-Commerce), I put the SKU in the ad group name. I can then quickly figure out expenses & revenue per product in Excel/Analytics.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks,
I guess it depends a lot on how big and complex your acounts are and what kind of business you´re promoting.