Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best location targeting method

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, 

I'm just looking for an explanation on the best targeting method. 

I have been given a set of postcodes to target for paid advertising. When I target by individual postcodes the estimated reach is over 500,000. But then when I search by area the estimated reach is only 246,000. 

Can someone explain to me a) why there is a lower reach for searching by area and b) if it's better to search by postcodes because you get more reach. 

e.g. target by area being Aberdeen 

target by postcode being AB10 1, AB11 1 etc..

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My personal recommendation would be a combination of postcode + town + radius targeting.  

I've always found that with radius targeting you can tap into more impressions for any given area than only using postcode plus town.

Plus...Google differs in it's ability to pinpoint where a person is, sometimes it identifies people in a zip code, versus a town versus some undetermined area.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello @david j

Location targeting is one of the unspoken weak points of AdWords and its dependency on how accurate it can get with GPS based targeting, especially when you drill down to zip codes and cities. In our agency we always overlap zip codes and cities with radius targeting to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks because what should be users in a zip code accidentally fall outside into another zip code, etc.

As @Kurt stated, it is a good idea to use zip codes and cities / towns + radius targeting. Again, this is to ensure you add an additional layer as a net to capture users that may be incorrectly attributed outside the zip code / city they are actually in.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Mostly seconding the good info already posted.  AdWords geo-targeting is best used as a course tool, and one method (e.g. radius targeting) may well fail.  Best to use multiple "overlay" targeting methods, e.g. postal code, city name, radius targeting.  Be especially wary when attempting to target resolutions of less than about 20 miles.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Steve