4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best Way to Test Variations of Ad

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What is the best way to test variations of an ad. I've read that things as small as whether or not a word is capitalized can make a big difference.

I assume this is not something you do in an ad group, such as creating multiple ads with very minor variations?

Do I run one ad for a period of time, like Monday through Sunday, then pause it and enable another one for the exact same timeframe? I know there is a tool that I've yet to explore, that rotates ads for you. Is that the best way to do it?

Thanks so much!

Jenna

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Way to Test Variations of Ad

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dexter B;

The best way is to use AdWords campaign experiments. However, some background in ststistis would help to understand how the test is run;

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2385204?hl=en

Another option would be to rotate all ads evenly, and test which one performs significantly better than the others.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jenna,

If you a re testing only ad copy and not changing bids, multiple ads within the same ad group will do. You really need to run both ads at the same time. There are too many variables involved. I usually don't test more than 2 at a time. Establish a "control". This is your best performing ad. Then create tests and run until you have enough impressions to analyze. For the ad rotation setting, rotate evenly for at least 30 days. I have mine set to rotate forever.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your replies.

petebardo, can you clarify something? I get what you're saying about running two ads at once and seeing which one is the best performing.

But regarding creating tests after you have a control ad, can you elaborate more on that? Do I disable the under performing ad and create a new ad to run at the same time as the control ad?

Because the next thing you mentioned was rotating ads. So I guess I'm confused between "running ads at the same time" and "rotating ads".

Thanks again!

Jenna

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Oops. I figured out the answer to my own question once I actually looked at the settings options.

The answer was both. So I'm running 2 ads per ad group at the same time AND I set them to "rotate indefinitely" (instead of enabling and disabling, or scheduling manually).

For the purpose of newbies who might be curious:

For one ad group, I chose a control ad out of 4 ads that have been running for a while. One was clearly performing better than the other three. I created a 2nd ad with the same main ad text, but changing up the two bi-lines.

For the other ad group, I only had two ads to begin with, and neither was an obvious winner. One had slightly higher clicks, but it also had a far higher % Served. It was showing like 75% of the time compared to the other ad, though the other ad got close to the same number of overall clicks. So I'm curious if I rotate the ads equally, if the ad previously showing less will get MORE clicks than the other.

Thanks again, petebardo, and others, for your help. It's fun to actually grasp a new concept. I'm enjoying learning more and watching my stats improve. I guess AdSense is totally up my alley because I'm a bit of a stats freak. Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Dexter,

Changing the ad rotation settings will not consider past performance. It will set your ads to rotate evenly beginning at the time you change the setting. It may take a few minutes for the new setting to become active. When comparing performance of 2 or more ads, be sure to set a time frame when both were active.

Sometimes I will put multiple copies of the control ad in an ad group, then add the tests. This limits the number of impressions the test will get. If there are 4 ads total, the test will get 25% of the impressions. This helps control the number of impressions and limits the risk of testing new copy. When you establish a winner, delete or pause the "losers" and make a new test. Keep testing to improve your account performance.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords