6.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best Way to Find Duplicate Keywords in Account

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In some cases you may have duplicate keyword in an account.  Let's say you might have the keyword [italian restaurant seattle] in a campaign with a user location geographic target and in another campaign with the same geo target but intent only.  (Yes I know you don't need to include the location name in keywords in a location intent targeted campaig - but let's assume you did.)

Is there a report or filter that would help root out these duplicate matches or do you essentially have to manually review all the campaign settings and keywords in the account?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Way to Find Duplicate Keywords in Account

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Jeff

There are many different solutions depending on what you are comfortable with.

1) Adwords Editor - Find and select duplicate keywords
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47633?hl=en

There may be some scripts written for this or based on how well you are comfortable with Excel, you can export all keywords and use advanced sorting to spot duplicates.

But the Adwords Editor is the easiest because it is already there waiting for you Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I tried the Adwords editor, unfortunately there is no option in the Adwords duplicate finder to only include keywords that have duplicate or overlapping campaign geographic target settings.  So you could have two identical keywords that target two different geographic targets and the editor thinks they are duplicates.  

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

You should be able to select one campaign at a time and view duplicates that way. So if you have the same keyword in another campaign which is targeting another location, it won't show up in the list of duplicates for the campaign you've selected.

Cassie