5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Best Display Network Ads To Use?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone! Another question I would like to ask is what type of display network ads to use? Will it be the dynamic, engagement, video or the general purpose ads? I'm doing this for another client that wants to be very visible in the online landscape right now. Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew M
September 2015

Re: Best Display Network Ads To Use?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
My recommendation: if you are new to display, start with the basic banners.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the recommendation MosheTLV. Another question I would like to ask is whether it would be best to use CPM Bidding or CPC Bidding? The goal is generally to create brand awareness so I'm thinking about CPM. But I'm thinking that it might just eat up my credits unlike CPC which I think is more manageable?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Andrew

I have one suggestion related to your question, i am not suggesting any bidding strategy, that you use CPM or CPC. You can try both the bidding methods one by one and compare the results. Calculate the value CPM for the duration in which you are using CPC bidding by using the below mentioned formula.

CPM=(cost for the clicks/total number of impressions)*1000

Now you have the costing data for 1000 impressions for both types of bidding methods as well other metrics like Avg. position, conversion, CTR etc. etc. Compare the results and select the best bidding method as per your understanding.

I hope that you understood my view point.

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Andrew;
With CPM - my recommendations: only with big budgets. For brand awareness / exposure you need (really) big budgets. If you are with the "average" budget (among advertisers in your business)  stay with direct response. (i.e  PPC targeting relevant users on the display using one or more of the  targeting methods available for the display network)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Andrew,

I join the party to share what worked best for me in terms of making an advertiser happy about brand awareness.

Case 1 :

Setting up a Remarketing campaign in display with the bidding "viewable CPM" , because for this you only pay for impressions which arrive on the screen for at least 1 second, while the generic CPM means paying for impressions even if they are generated by loading the banner below the fold.

Also you can use "viewable CPM" in a Display campaign where you exclude "all visitors" who already know your site.

More details here :

http://www.phillymarketinglabs.com/adwords-introduces-display-network-active-view-metrics/

Case 2:

Using Text ads in the GDN : these gain the most impressions and they adapt even to large Ad spaces which would normally fit a banner. You can try bidding really low on text ads such as 0.1 $ and use as targeting Genders to cover all placements.

Case 3 : 

In-Stream Ads setup to run only on youtube , with a video of around 60 seconds, you pay for a view a tiny ammount after the viewer sees at least 30 seconds from the Ad. The ads can even be made from a PowerPoint text animation saved as movie. The amounts you can bid for a view can be 2-3 cents or more .

To reach the most audience use a frequency capping of 1 impression per month per campaign, for videos as well as for banners.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all of your replies. I will keep in mind everything! Your suggestions are very insightful.