AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Beginner - what is difference between campaign and ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to create an ad. I have successfully created a campaign and in the status it says it's 'eligible'. Does this mean that the ad is live now? Because I'm not seeing any activity and when I click on the 'Ads' tab just along from 'Campaigns', there is nothing there. I have a red bar at the top to warn me that no ads are running because they are either paused or deleted. My campaign definitely says 'Eligible' and is not paused or deleted. What do I do now, please? Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Beginner - what is difference between campaign and ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello HFM1101,

Welcome to the community.

In simple terms a campaign holds ad groups within it and within each ad group you have a keyword list and ad(s). Your campaign will be unable to run without ads as there is nothing to display so you need to make sure that you have successfully created at least one ad group which contains keywords and at least one ad relevant to your landing page.

I would strongly suggest that you do a lot of reading and research before activating your campaign to ensure that you get the best out of AdWords. In theory the system is simple to use but without knowing what you are doing you can quickly generate a lot of costs without seeing much success. I created an article a while back discussing the account structure of an AdWords account which you might find interesting to read, it might also be worth checking out my second article which discusses the approval status of ads.

The AdWords Help Centre also has a wealth of information, I suggest that you check out the Setup and Basics section. If you have any additional questions then feel free to ask us!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Beginner - what is difference between campaign and ad?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

There are some great tips from Scott there! One thing that might also help you would be this article here on how to find out and change the status of your ads/ad groups/campaigns, just in case any of those are accidentally paused. 

I would also check out your budget to make sure there is enough credit on your account to allow it to run. You can do this on your Billing tab.

Hope this helps!

A.