3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Basic keyword questions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a couple pretty basic questions when it comes to keywords.

1. Will singular and plural versions of basically the same broad match keyword compete against each other in an adgroup?

Ex. womens coat, women's coat, women coat, and coat for women

2. What are some basic techniques to help lower the cost/conversion for a keyword?

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CBWY5
September 2015

Re: Basic keyword questions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CBWY5 and welcome to the forum.

1.  The easy answer here is that you don't really need to include those variations.  As long as your Campaign settings are "Include plurals, misspellings and other close variants" (you'll find this under "Advanced Settings - Keyword Matching Options")  then you only need to have one Keyword anyway, and I'd suggest +women +coat.

2.  Lowering cost per Conversion requires either lowering the cost or increasing the Conversion rate or both!  Lowering the cost (assuming this is a CPC Campaign here) is going to happen one of two ways.  You can either lower the Max CPC or increase your Quality Score (or, again, both).  A lot of advertisers try to aim for the #1 position all the time but this will mean you're paying for it.  You can get decent results hovering around the #3 - #4 position and it can be a lot cheaper per click.  Increasing Quality Score is an issue in its own right but increasing your CTR will help a lot.  Increasing the Conversion rate is mostly about making sure the people that click your Ad(s) are ready to buy exactly what you sell.  This means making sure your Keywords are tightly focused and not too broad, your Ads make it very clear what you sell (and even how much you charge), and your landing page(s) are easy to use.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Jon,
Thanks for your feedback and clarification.
Thanks,
Curtis

WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would also look at your landing pages site speed, user friendliness, trust signals, call to actions and the overall message you are conveying to the user.