Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Basic difference

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

Can anybody help me understand what is the difference between Impression share and Share of voice?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Basic difference

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi, share of voice was used when you have been reffering to impression share metrics so in my understanding there is no difference between them.
http://adwords.blogspot.in/2007/07/discover-your-share-of-voice-with.html
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi, share of voice was used when you have been reffering to impression share metrics so in my understanding there is no difference between them.
http://adwords.blogspot.in/2007/07/discover-your-share-of-voice-with.html
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Alexey C,

Your means Share of voice was replaced by Impression in Thursday, July 05, 2007. Or any combination of some metrics call as " Share of voice". As you shared a link, I read the article but I am find this

" Impression Share, a new AdWords metric, is similar to share of voice -- it represents the percentage of times your ads were actually shown in relation to the total number of chances your ads could have been shown, based on your keyword and campaign settings."

But in image "it indicate the combination of Impression Share, Lost IS and Lost IS " is " Share of voice". As I understand. Can you clear my doubt.

Mohit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey C,

Thanks for your answer but somewhere I am still not able to understand
clearly. Impression share is fine but how we can get the SOV?
Kind Regards

*Saurav Bisht*
* (9717021101)*

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@01saurav01 Share of voice is used for many years, first it was used in offline advertisement. There are different models which can be used, according to one of them SOV is used in online advertisement to inentify a portion of ad inventory which each of advertisers on the website would get. 

You can't find SOV metric with inside Adwords as it's using Impression Share instead which give you ability to understand how much additional traffic you can get if you would raise your budget or bids. When Adwords introduced IS metrics they reffered to SOV so people would easily understand what is all about.  

@Mohit B Let's consider specific example - you've got 120 impressions from your Search campaign targeting New York in last 7 days. Your impression share is 50%, your impression share lost due rank is 25% and your impression share lost due budget is 25%. Looking at this data you can understand that if your budget would be 25% higher and you would increase bids on specific keywords you could potentially get 50% more impressions is there would be the same search demand.  

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Alexey C,

Thanks to clarify each and every thing in details. I listen first time this word "Share of voice" so have some confusion but now solve.

Mohit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great help!

Thanks much @Alexy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Share of voice" is a metric often used in the advertising industry to represent the relative portion of ad inventory available to a single advertiser within a defined market over a specified time period. "Impression Share", a new AdWords metric, is similar to share of voice -- it represents the percentage of times your ads were actually shown in relation to the total number of chances your ads could have been shown, based on your keyword and campaign settings.