AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

BMM or exact match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: BMM or exact match?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Firoj Sarkar,

BOTH.

Can you please expand on your question? To advice you better we need to understand your question and more importantly what you are trying to test/implement and your aim.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
These are actually two very different match types.

BMM will spread the net fairly wide and you will get more traffic. The CTR will tend to be lower and the quality scores wull also be a little lower in most cases - but you will get some volume.

Exact match will generally produce better CTR's, but far less volume.

Perhaps the most important comment is - Why do you feel the need to choose one or the other? There is plenty of room to use both in your account - and it is often recommendable....

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Excellent advice from NehaGupta and Stickleback but to add to the conversion.

If an when you choose BMM make sure you have a great negative keyword list and use the Analytics and Adwords Matched Search Query Reports to exclude terms that are not relative to your product/ services.

Also with any match types or campaigns in general the true ROI ( return on investment) should be taken into account. Make sure the BBM's provide you a positive ROI and the Exact match gives you good conversions at a lower cost to become profitable.

Work on your Quality Scores, with good use of Ad extensions, Ad copy and tight knit keyword adgroups. Test ad copy and landing pages. Shoot for 7/10 to 10/10 QS and manage those bids to crank the ROI.

Good Luck

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I tend to use BMM much more than Broad Match as it provides more targeted results.

If you are using BMM (or any other match type for that matter), you can then see which match type provides the best results.

From your Keywords Tab, click "Segment" and then select "Search terms match type".

This will show you which match type gives you the best results for each of your keywords (conversions, CPC, CPA etc etc.) then you'll be able to answer your question as to which is better ... BMM , Phrase or Exact Match.

Happy Optimizing!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
... and I have practically stopped using phrase match...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

You must avoid selecting one of those, using more than one match type is ideal way of optimization.

1) Exact - Good CTR, Good Conversion Rate, Most Profitable
2) BMM - More Impression, Wider Reach, Covers Low Search Volume Exact Keywords, Relatively Low Profit compared to Exact, Requires Regular Search Query Based Exclusions

Strong recommendation would be to use both, run SQR report on BMM Regularly, that will also help in finding new keywords to add to Exact Bucket.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Another good reason to use BMM is with this greater reach your ads appear for and get clicked for more searches.

You are then able to get a bunch of really great keyword ideas (and negatives ideas) from your keyword search terms reports.
start with the keywords that have generated conversions and work your way down from there.