5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

BMM match criteria

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read this article http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html, but still unsure if it really covers all variations of my keywords...

Could you confirm, that keyword (+leaflet +distribution) will cover the following?

leaflets distribution
distributing leaflets
distribute leaflets
leaflet distributers
leaflet distributer
leaflet distributing
distribution leaflet
distribute leaflet

It's so tempting to put just (+leaflet +distribution) keyword into adgroup and know that all other keywords would be covered... But would it really cover all variations?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armands
September 2015

Re: BMM match criteria

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

The modified broad match keyword you give should serve all the variations you list, yes.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Re: BMM Query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

I've read this article http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html, but still unsure if it really covers all variations of my keywords...

Could you confirm, that keyword (+leaflet +distribution) will cover the following?

leaflets distribution
distributing leaflets
distribute leaflets
leaflet distributers
leaflet distributer
leaflet distributing
distribution leaflet
distribute leaflet

It's so tempting to put just (+leaflet +distribution) keyword into adgroup and know that all other keywords would be covered... But would it really cover all variations?

What if I will put all variations in one adgoup, is it likely to triger competition in my own campaign?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armands
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

The modified broad match keyword you give should serve all the variations you list, yes.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a test campaign for this sort of tests, targeting a small rural City with low internet traffic to ensure that when the campaign is live, chances of getting live clicks are low.

The trick is that testing Search terms through the Ad Preview, require a live campaign and a high ad rank for the keyword so I used a high MaxCPC for your keyword, but just for a few minutes.

If for instance a search with the Ad Preview results in a No your ad is not displayed without giving a reason, just press again the blue Preview button.

All the search terms matched this keyword except 

leaflet distributers
leaflet distributer

If you want I can upload print-screens for each search in this same reply to avoid creating new messages.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
It could be the misspelling ("distributers" instead of "distributors") that blocked the ad from triggering.

Make certain you do have the "close variants" options selected on the Settings page of the campaign so that misspelled search queries are able to trigger your ads--assuming that the AdWords system recognizes them as misspellings.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I had close variants enabled. However I do not know any tool where to check if those search terms are close variants or "related searches" , that would be useful since adwords ad preview just shows me the result of the blocked Ad with no explanation.

I was writing my answer after I have seen only the question from Armands , no intention to contradict Smiley Happy

--------------------------

Update : the correct spelling works as seen from below, even if that particular misspeling doesn't appear to be recognized by the system, although I Enabled at the campaign level  "Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants" 

This was an interesting chalenge for me.

test-ok.png

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If the time allows, I would have Two quick questions @Theresa_Zook to help me understand positive keyword matching better :

A) What is the relationship which triggered the match between the word distribution from the keyword and the word distributors from the search term.

Are they considered Stemmings (Linguistics The main part of a word to which affixes are added.)? 

The close variations , as defined by google seem to be limited to :

1) stemmings

2) singular/plural forms

3) misspellings

4) abbreviations

5) accents

B ) Do misspellings of "close variants"  have the potential to trigger the BMM keyword or just misspellings of words from the keyword ? I tried to research for this problem for an hour and gave up.

From my understanding the leaflet distributers search term would be a misspelling of a close variant not a misspelling of word from the actual keyword, this is why it is not triggered by the ad preview even if I enabled "close variants".

[Edit] How can this be useful for Armands ?

Answer : if for B ) misspellings of "close variants" are not included, perhaps he should also add the BMM keyword 

+leaflet +distributers  to match this type of misspelling.

[end edit]

Thanks