Guide Me
star_border

BMM Keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there Smiley Happy

I know that the BMM is useful for making a word required on a search term to show the ads.

Let's say I have " +flowers +delivery service"
Both flowers and delivery must be in the search term for the ad to appear, so if someone searches for "flowers delivery downtown" the ad is likely to show.

I've seen someone doing something like this:

+where +in +Colombia +should +you +live
+where +can +I +get +new +wine +glasses

Would *all* the words be *required* for the ad to appear? (I know the order can be different)

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maleja Z
October 2016

BMM Keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Maleja Z

As you describe BMM above, technically all the words in your keyword "+where +in +Colombia +should +you +live" would be required, in some order, to be typed in the search. Keep in mind that close variations (as @Moshe_LTV stated, this is called stemming) such as plurals or different conjugations such as living or lives.

Let me know if this helps!

Nick

View solution in original post

BMM Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If I understand you correctly, you refer to the prepositions and the pronouns.

For BMM these are considered as close variations. ("Stemming")

Edited: OOPs... My auto proof reading...  Smiley Surprised Of course,  It should have been prepositions. (at , in, on...). Those are ignored - considered part of close variants

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maleja Z
October 2016

BMM Keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Maleja Z

As you describe BMM above, technically all the words in your keyword "+where +in +Colombia +should +you +live" would be required, in some order, to be typed in the search. Keep in mind that close variations (as @Moshe_LTV stated, this is called stemming) such as plurals or different conjugations such as living or lives.

Let me know if this helps!

Nick

BMM Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

On that I am a bit in disagreement with @Nick C;

In BMM prepositions and pronouns are considered close variants.

"Broad match uses Google’s long history of deciphering the meaning of queries to answer a question (semantic), while the other match types describe the words that users type and the order in which they type them, independent of the intention of those words (syntactic). "

https://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google-keywords-to-the-wise.pdf

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

BMM Keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You know what I always find interesting about this dialog is sometimes how this actually plays out. Now, I know the OP is asking about targeted keywords but I ran into an example once with negative keywords that made me rethink matching.

I had excluded a bunch of states from a campaign and added US state abbreviations as negative keywords (overkill I know but it needed to be done).  Because Indiana is abbreviated IN, I had actually blocked every single search query that included the term 'in'.   

While articles (in this case) may be ignored in some cases, it's not always the case, it can get tricky.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

BMM Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy, 

My team and I have had the same issue. We were adding States and abbreviations as negative keywords and there was a serious conflict with "IN". We had to remove in order to solve it. Smiley Happy 

Thanks for your input.

BMM Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Nick,

Thanks for clarifying!

BMM Keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tommy,

This is a really good point that made me think the same thing.

Some other tricky examples could be like a local business in 'Columbus' but need to exclude all the other states that are with the duplicate location Columbus as well. (there are about 7 of them..)

Thanks for bringing that up Smiley Happy

Jason