AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

BMM Answer Needed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

if i write in BMM as +abc-7 so will it take the whole phrase together ?

Will it take (Hyphen)   -7 also ?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: BMM Answer Needed

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rohan

If there is no space between them, then i think it would take "abc-7" as a single word in BMM match.

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
My opinion differs here, I believe I've read somewhere that hyphens are replaced with spaces when matching keywords, so I'm not sure that in your case the system won't match abc alone as well.

Here's the link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en where it says "You can add periods (.) or dashes (-) to your keywords, but we'll ignore this punctuation. That means we'll consider the keywords Fifth Ave. and Fifth Ave, for example, identical keywords."
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Rohan,

Though you can use add hyphen and special character in keywords, but google does not consider hyphen.

Please read the below link for more info.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Hyphenation-words/td-p/119728
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for correcting and updating me Guys. I have one question in my mind, so "7" will be treated as a broad match keyword or something else?
Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
In theory, the keyword should be treated as +abc 7, so abc has to be there and 7 is optional.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin
I have another view here, 7 cannot be optional in my opinion. Please refer to the image below where "formal" word don't have"+" sign infront of it, so it is triggering queries related to that like evening, black dress etc.

http://www.google.co.in/ads/innovations/images/screenshot/bmm_how.png

I would be happy to be corrected again if i am wrong.

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I tested this with the ad preview with some search terms and the 7 appears to be optional. You can do it too ( credits to AdWiser for reminding me yesterday to use this tool more often Smiley Happy  )

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
That's exactly what I'm saying (or wanted to say, at least), Abhishek. Since there's a space before the 7, it does not necessarily have to be included in the search term. I would not be surprised if a search for abc 8 would not match that keyword as well.

But since these are not really words but rather letter & number combinations I believe it is best to test them and see what kind of search queries they attract.

I hope the guys at PPC Hero are right on this one http://www.ppchero.com/modified-broad-match-understood/, because they say pretty much the same thing: "To continue along with the mens blue widgets example, this modified keyword match would look like this: +mens blue +widgets. This match type is the next step towards the impression share of normal broad match. Basically, it is much like Fully Modified Broad Match, except now with one term behaving as a broad match keyword. So, for your ads to trigger, the two keywords (in any order, and variations/plurals) mens and widgets would have to appear in the query, but blue could or could not be included in the query as well. So, for queries that would trigger your ads, these would apply: mens widgets, mens green widget, man widget for gift, widgets for a man, etc."

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
There you go, thank you for testing it yourself, Adrian.