5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Avoiding Duplicate Keywords by Location Targeting & Excluding Location

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Everyone, Just looking for a little guidance. Let me know if this makes sense. So say I have a campaign that's using keywords that are extremely effective but I want to split test adding specific copy about one metro location vs. a generic ad and keep using the same keywords that campaign is utilizing.

To avoid the negative affects of duplicate keywords, could I create a new campaign just targeting that one metro location with the two different ads and same keywords, and exclude that same location from the previous campaign? Does that make sense?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin L
June

Re: Avoiding Duplicate Keywords by Location Targeting & Excluding Location

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Colin L,

It's your lucky day. There is a simple solution to your inquiries. Create a "draft" that mirrors your original campaign and adjust your ad copy then launch an "experiment".

From Google: "When a potential customer performs a search on Google or a search partner website, or loads a webpage on the Display Network we'll randomly make either your original campaign or your experiment active for the auction, depending on how you’ve split the traffic share between your campaign and your experiment."

This setup allows an "on" and "off" switch, so to speak, so your separate campaigns with different ad copy BUT same keywords don't compete in the same auction at the same time. You can measure your experiments performance and add the new adjustments to your existing campaign (or convert to a new campaign) if you determine that your A/B testing was more successful with the experiment setup.

Learn how to setup a draft

Learn how to setup an experiment

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin L
June

Re: Avoiding Duplicate Keywords by Location Targeting & Excluding Location

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Colin L,

It's your lucky day. There is a simple solution to your inquiries. Create a "draft" that mirrors your original campaign and adjust your ad copy then launch an "experiment".

From Google: "When a potential customer performs a search on Google or a search partner website, or loads a webpage on the Display Network we'll randomly make either your original campaign or your experiment active for the auction, depending on how you’ve split the traffic share between your campaign and your experiment."

This setup allows an "on" and "off" switch, so to speak, so your separate campaigns with different ad copy BUT same keywords don't compete in the same auction at the same time. You can measure your experiments performance and add the new adjustments to your existing campaign (or convert to a new campaign) if you determine that your A/B testing was more successful with the experiment setup.

Learn how to setup a draft

Learn how to setup an experiment

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response! Just want to clarify that the existing campaign focuses on the entire US and I wanted to test setting bid adjustments in one specific location (to try to generate more leads in one specific area) and also test the different ad copy for just that location. 

Is an experiment still the best route?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Honestly, I would just create two separate campaigns.  It's the best way to control budgets and easily review reporting.  Also, if you want different ad copy for the 2nd location, a 2nd campaign should work well.

You don't have a duplicate keyword issue if you are targeting different locations.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Shanee. Just to be clear, you think copying the original campaign and targeting just the one location with both versions of ad copy is the best solution? Let's say I'm targeting New York, I copy the original campaign and set the location just for New York. I set up two different ads, one with the original copy and one with the new ad copying mentioned the location I'm targeting. Would I need to exclude New York from the original campaign?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Colin L,

In my opinion, experiments, is still the best route. Excluding geo locations from your original campaign could work but now you're missing out on a piece of the pie that could be lucrative. Without limiting your campaigns, experiments will allow you to run both without competing in the ad auction.

@Shanee_Kirk,

If he is targeting the entire US in the original campaign and wanted to test bidding adjustments in specific locations....then there will still be some overlap and they will actually compete against each other a bit, correct? Also, the shared budgets are easily managed within experiments and its very easy to compare both the campaigns simultaneously. And again, ad copy is easily adjustable in experiments....

I might be a bit biased because I am a huge fan of experiments but it just seems like a more fluid process for this situation Smiley Happy

Let me know your thoughts?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Cameron R 

I guess my one concern is ideally I would split the traffic/budget going to that one location 50/50 between the two different ads vs. share the traffic/budget with the entire existing campaign as a whole. Does that make sense?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Yes.  Just make sure that you "exclude" NY as a location in the full US campaign.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Could be a preference thing... Two solutions, Both good outcomes.  ;-)

My vote is for the separate campaigns.  I just think it's easier.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you both for feedback! It's really appreciated