Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Avg. CPC is more than MAX CPC - Search Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'm new to adwords and I recently launched my campaign (last night). The campaign is a Search only campaign (currently includes search partners). I'm having an issue and I cannot seem to figure out why or how it is happening. My Avg. CPC is higher than my MAX CPC on several keywords. I have put several images on imgur to show my account settings and I will be happy to answer any other questions if someone can help me figure out why this is happening.

Link to images (gallery):

Campaign Images

Image 1 - Bid Strategy:

Focus on clicks is checked, enhanced CPC is NOT checked. "I'll manually set my bids for clicks" is checked.

Image 2 - Device Adjustments:

I have -100% for mobile devices set. No other adjustments have been made.

Image 3- Locations:

This is off topic to the subject, but when I go to locations it shows that United States has no clicks/impressions/etc. Why is this? My campaign is set to US only and I can verify through analytics that all my clicks have come from the US.

Image 4 - Ad Schedule:

No scheduling has been made nor have any adjustments been made.

Image 5- Proof of Avg. CPC is higher than Max CPC:

I have ad group level bidding set at $1.00. This image is taken from the keywords tab where I have individual bids are set per keyword. To my count, there are 6 keywords in the screenshot whose Avg. CPC is higher than their max CPC. I made some bid adjustments last night, but I didn't have many clicks prior to making the adjustments. I even clicked on one of my ads this morning to test and it cost $.58 when my MAX CPC is set to $.45. This is row 3 in the screenshot.

Are there any other bid adjustments that can be set that I'm missing?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Avg. CPC is more than MAX CPC - Search Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Billy,

This is quiet interesting, I am no expert in adwords so I will skip the answering part. But could you please check your automated rules & post the screen shot. It should be under Bulk opertions--> Automated rules. 

Thanks,

Rajkumar. S

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) If you have no impressions at the Locations tab in the campaign, this is because you are looking at too recent data , such as "Today". The data is updated with a delay so look at a custom time range excluding today. Explanation here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

2) Summary :

- checked location,scheduling and device bid adjustments  - there are none which could affect manual bidding

Besides automated rules which could change your MaxCPC values only during certain hours for example , you should also activate in the keywords tab the Cusom Columns "Bid strategy" and "Bid strategy type" , because bid strategies can be applied for each invididual keywords even if in the campaign you have manual bidding.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi BillyR Smiley Happy. Welcome to the community.

I'm not a Google AdWords expert either. But I have two similar threads about your issues, here they are:-
1) https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Why-google-is-charging-me-more-than-my-ma...
2) https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Avg-CPC-is-more-than-MAX-CPC/td-p/162036

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are no automated rules setup in my campaign. Screenshot Here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the links. I actually read those prior to posting but wanted to make a post to ensure I didn't miss something else.

The good news is, It hasn't happened today even though I haven't changed any settings. I will keep a close eye on it the next few days just to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thank you everyone for the help thus far, it's greatly appreciated!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Your welcome. Thank you for posting Smiley Happy
I'm sure your post will help others. Adrian B is right, the data is always updated. That could be the reason why it's different.
Good luck with everything Smiley Happy.