AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Avg. CPC is more than MAX CPC - Search Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'm new to adwords and I recently launched my campaign (last night). The campaign is a Search only campaign (currently includes search partners). I'm having an issue and I cannot seem to figure out why or how it is happening. My Avg. CPC is higher than my MAX CPC on several keywords. I have put several images on imgur to show my account settings and I will be happy to answer any other questions if someone can help me figure out why this is happening.

Link to images (gallery):

Campaign Images

Image 1 - Bid Strategy:

Focus on clicks is checked, enhanced CPC is NOT checked. "I'll manually set my bids for clicks" is checked.

Image 2 - Device Adjustments:

I have -100% for mobile devices set. No other adjustments have been made.

Image 3- Locations:

This is off topic to the subject, but when I go to locations it shows that United States has no clicks/impressions/etc. Why is this? My campaign is set to US only and I can verify through analytics that all my clicks have come from the US.

Image 4 - Ad Schedule:

No scheduling has been made nor have any adjustments been made.

Image 5- Proof of Avg. CPC is higher than Max CPC:

I have ad group level bidding set at $1.00. This image is taken from the keywords tab where I have individual bids are set per keyword. To my count, there are 6 keywords in the screenshot whose Avg. CPC is higher than their max CPC. I made some bid adjustments last night, but I didn't have many clicks prior to making the adjustments. I even clicked on one of my ads this morning to test and it cost $.58 when my MAX CPC is set to $.45. This is row 3 in the screenshot.

Are there any other bid adjustments that can be set that I'm missing?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Avg. CPC is more than MAX CPC - Search Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Billy,

This is quiet interesting, I am no expert in adwords so I will skip the answering part. But could you please check your automated rules & post the screen shot. It should be under Bulk opertions--> Automated rules. 

Thanks,

Rajkumar. S

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) If you have no impressions at the Locations tab in the campaign, this is because you are looking at too recent data , such as "Today". The data is updated with a delay so look at a custom time range excluding today. Explanation here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

2) Summary :

- checked location,scheduling and device bid adjustments  - there are none which could affect manual bidding

Besides automated rules which could change your MaxCPC values only during certain hours for example , you should also activate in the keywords tab the Cusom Columns "Bid strategy" and "Bid strategy type" , because bid strategies can be applied for each invididual keywords even if in the campaign you have manual bidding.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi BillyR Smiley Happy. Welcome to the community.

I'm not a Google AdWords expert either. But I have two similar threads about your issues, here they are:-
1) https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Why-google-is-charging-me-more-than-my-ma...
2) https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Avg-CPC-is-more-than-MAX-CPC/td-p/162036

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are no automated rules setup in my campaign. Screenshot Here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the links. I actually read those prior to posting but wanted to make a post to ensure I didn't miss something else.

The good news is, It hasn't happened today even though I haven't changed any settings. I will keep a close eye on it the next few days just to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thank you everyone for the help thus far, it's greatly appreciated!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Your welcome. Thank you for posting Smiley Happy
I'm sure your post will help others. Adrian B is right, the data is always updated. That could be the reason why it's different.
Good luck with everything Smiley Happy.