Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Average Position keywords and ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm curious because I see that in a campaign you get an Average Position for both keywords and Ads, but why does your keywords get an average position? Shouldn't that be just for the ads?

Let's say you have a keyword with a 3.6 average position and the ad for that keyword has a 2.4 average position? What is happening there, what is this different?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armando M
August 2016

Re: Average Position keywords and ads

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Armando,

The keyword average position shows the advert position for that specific keyword.
The advert average position shows the advert position for all keywords within the ad group.

So lets say you had three keywords, one of them was "cars".

The keyword average position for "cars" would only take into account where the ad appeared when that specific keyword was searched.
However the advert average position would take into account where the ad appeared for all three of the keywords.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armando M
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Armando,

The keyword average position shows the advert position for that specific keyword.
The advert average position shows the advert position for all keywords within the ad group.

So lets say you had three keywords, one of them was "cars".

The keyword average position for "cars" would only take into account where the ad appeared when that specific keyword was searched.
However the advert average position would take into account where the ad appeared for all three of the keywords.

Hope this helps,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Matthew, everything is clear now!