AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Automatically Creating UTM Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Use Case:

• I have Google Analytics and have enabled URL auto-tagging on Adwords. I also enabled the option in GA to override auto utm parameters if there are manual utm parameters in the URL.
  • I use manual utm parameters because I have an internal analytics system that stores utm parameters for users

Issue:

I want to setup my URLs this way:

utm_campaign: whatever the campaign is under for this ad

utm_term: whatever keyword the user searched to get my site

utm_content: whatever ad-group this user clicked on

utm_source: google

utm_medium: cpc

So far, I haven't found a single tutorial online on how to set this up. All of the documents I've read pointed me to a url generator but I don't want to generate them myself. I want Adwords to auto insert them based on my Campaign, Adgroup names and whatever the user searched for.  I also don't want to use auto-tagging for this because I have an internal system that relies on reading utm parameters in the URL.

How can I achieve my goal?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hey Joseph,

I don't think you can. Either you use auto-tagging with Google Analytics or you tag them yourself with UTM parameters or any other parameters to track them with your own 3rd party tool.

Tomáš

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not even the keyword? 

Re: Automatically Creating UTM Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can use Value track parameters in the manual UTM parameters, e.g. utm_term={keyword}.