Guide Me
star_border

Auto bid at $0.01 - have $120 per day set and other groups state $1.52

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

I have a budget of $120 per day set for a display network campaign and four ad groups set to auto bid. 

• Two ad groups show auto: NZ$1.52(enhanced)
  • But the other two show auto: NZ$0.01(enhanced)

I've tried upping the bid for these but get an error saying the change doesn't apply to any of the rows selected.

Also, my campaign is targeted to New Zealand only but I've noticed that the key word suggestions showed traffic of many millions per term which is unlikely for a country of four million people.

Could it be that the key words are not honouring the locality set at the campaign level and therefore, there's not enough budget per day? I only say this because the answers I found suggested that not enough daily budget is the reason for a 1c auto bid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chers

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
September 2015

Re: Auto bid at $0.01 - have $120 per day set and other groups state $

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From your title "Auto bid at $0.01" and your first sentence "and four ad groups set to auto bid"

I can tell you are using automatic bidding.

Yes this problem can happen, I have experienced it too. Sometimes it goes away if I uncheck "Enhanced CPC" sometimes it goes away if I set a maximum bid limit .

But most of the times it doesn't go away at all and I had to switch to manual bidding for a day or two to obtain traffic.

I always had enough daily budget, allowing more than 100 clicks at the maximum automatic bid set by my at the campaign level so budget should not have been an issue.

"but I've noticed that the key word suggestions showed traffic of many millions per term which is unlikely for a country of four million people." 

Where did you see these estimates for keywords ? Keyword targeting for Display is different than search , it does not mean that the keywords are searched on those websites or that the keywords are on the pages of articles on those websites.

Read here more about Display contextual targeting using keywordshttps://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453986?hl=en

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ben,

Can you tell me exactly what your bidding strategy is? Is it "Manual CPC" with enhanced CPC enabled? If so, the .01 is just the default amount for when a keyword is added and isn't assigned a CPC. That isn't Google choosing that CPC as the most optimal. When you mentioned that you received an error were you using the interface or the editor? If you have manual CPC enabled, you should be able to edit bids. Do you have any flexible bid strategies in place?

I don't think geography is an issue but if you have any concerns, you can check the advanced location settings to ensure that you are only targeting people "*in* your targeted location" (as opposed to "in *or* searching for").

If you can provide a little more detail about the error you are getting when trying to change your bids, we can help you dig into it!

best,
Amy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
To add - if you *aren't* using manual CPC bidding, I would suggest switching to that and raising bids manually for awhile to see if you can get more traction. Then you could test auto-bidding again and see if you have better results.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From your title "Auto bid at $0.01" and your first sentence "and four ad groups set to auto bid"

I can tell you are using automatic bidding.

Yes this problem can happen, I have experienced it too. Sometimes it goes away if I uncheck "Enhanced CPC" sometimes it goes away if I set a maximum bid limit .

But most of the times it doesn't go away at all and I had to switch to manual bidding for a day or two to obtain traffic.

I always had enough daily budget, allowing more than 100 clicks at the maximum automatic bid set by my at the campaign level so budget should not have been an issue.

"but I've noticed that the key word suggestions showed traffic of many millions per term which is unlikely for a country of four million people." 

Where did you see these estimates for keywords ? Keyword targeting for Display is different than search , it does not mean that the keywords are searched on those websites or that the keywords are on the pages of articles on those websites.

Read here more about Display contextual targeting using keywordshttps://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453986?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks heaps guys, really helpful answers.

@Adrian I saw these estimates when adding targeting to the Ad Groups but I'm thinking it was 3.4M as in 3,400 - it's been a while since doing display.