AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Auto CPC all over the place?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I am a beginner - intermediate user of Adwords and recently did some tuning to our account. Everything was going great (more clicks and more traffic) until I logged on today after the weekend to see that Google has now set our Max CPC at $0.01 across 2 Ad groups in 1 campaign!!

Each Ad Group has roughly 10 keywords (All set to Broad Match), I have set my campaign Max CPC to $2.15 and have a daily budget of $60. Yesterday I only got 15 clicks for  a grand total of $20! What is even more puzzling is I have not changed anything since the start of last week when the auto CPC came in around $1.50.

I have read a few other articles and posts, and would I be fair in being a little dubious about Auto bidding and perhaps undertake to set my keyword bids manually? Or does anyone have any advice as to why the auto bid has now gone so low?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto CPC all over the place?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Cole,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

If you are using Automatic bidding you are giving the authority to Google to adjust you bids on behalf of You. It is recommended to use the automatic bidding in the campaigns, when you are new. But Honestly, Google has not explained the algorithm of how it works.

So I would advice you to use the Manual Bid instead of Automatic Bidding, Its gives more freedom to control your bids. As you have got the fair idea of your keywords avg CPC, so now you can use the Manual Bidding.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’