AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Matches More Than One Keyword in Account - Duplicate Keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In same cases there may be accounts that have keyword overlap.  For example, you might have a campaign where the geographic targeting in the user's location only and another campaign that is the same geographic location but it is user intent only.  If the location is Seattle, it is obvious that a search for a matching keyword with also the word Seattle in it will trigger the location intent targeted campaign keyword.  However as I understand it, location intent matches do not necessarily require the location name to be in the search.  For example I've seen at least one instance where the keyword was matched without location name on a location intent campaign and was able to trace it to the click-thru coming from the ad being displayed on Yelp when the yelp user had the Yelp location set to Seattle.  So they didn't have to enter "italian restaurant seattle" all they had to do was enter "italian restaurant"  

But it can be further informative for the advertiser to compare in a location intent campaign keywords that definitely had the location name in it versus keywords that matched some other way.  So in that location intent campaign you make have the keywords [italian restaurant] and [italian restaurant seattle]

In the user location campaign you also may have the same two keywords.  This would cause a match for someone in the georgraphic location to search for "italian restaurant seattle"

Does anyone know what really happens in that case?  If the does geographic area trump intent or vice versa or does google treat the two matches as two separate entries into the auction?  If the latter case is true, would that mean that you would essentially be causing your campaigns to compete against each other in the auction so let's say the location auction keyword had a Quality Score of 10 with a bid of $10.00 which was good enough to win position #1 in the auction and  the intent target campaign keyword had a Quality Score of 5 and a bid of $30.00 which also was good enough for position #1.  In that case if the $30 max bid keyword beat out the $10 max bid keyword from the same account, for the same keyword, would you end up then paying a higher CPC than you need to for the same position due to the keywords  competing against each other from the same account but different campaigns?  Or, would Google let the keyword with the lowest CPC that still gets it position #1  win? (The latter would be less financially beneficial to Google obviously)

I should not this could also happen within the same campaign with duplicate keywords in different ad groups.  How does Google handle it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff C
January 2016

Re: Auction Matches More Than One Keyword in Account - Duplicate Keywo

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Jeff. There are several situations possible and here's how the system handles them, in detail: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff C
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Jeff. There are several situations possible and here's how the system handles them, in detail: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Exception: "There is a cheaper keyword with a higher Ad Rank"

I can sleep easy now knowing I'm not overpaying due to overlapping/competing keywords.

Thanks