Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insights - Search Impression Share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

My question is about the impression share shown in the auction insights report. In one of my accounts the Impression Share shown in the Adwords interface is 45%. Howver in the auction insight report its 60%. Just want to understand why there is a difference.

Can I define the IS in the auction insight report in the following way?

- IS% shown in the auction insight report depicts how many auctions generated an impression for every 100 actual auctions.

-Therefore according to the auction insight report out of 100 actual auctions, 60 auctions generated an impressions for the campaign.

-(A “auction” used in this calculation occurs when a user search for a keyword that is included in the SEM campaign)

Please help.

Cheers

Mudi

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mudi p
September 2015

Re: Auction Insights - Search Impression Share

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Simple answer: No;
Here is the link to the exact definition for "auction insight" (Tip: read it in full. Note that it's all based on "statistical estimates" - so some background in statistics is desired to fully understand the calculation).

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mudi p
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Simple answer: No;
Here is the link to the exact definition for "auction insight" (Tip: read it in full. Note that it's all based on "statistical estimates" - so some background in statistics is desired to fully understand the calculation).

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV

Where is the link?

Cheers
Mudi

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry. Link added

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey

yea I read this article as well.

So what you see in the interface as IS = search network impressions / Estimated number of impressions that you were eligible to get.

If your Adwords interface IS is 45% and IS lost due to budget is 50% and IS lost due to Rank is 5%, the way I understood was for every 100 estimated impressions you have actually received 45 impressions and lost 50 and 5 impressions due to lack of budgets and low ranks respectively.

I'm quoting the following from the article

"In the Auction insights report, impression share also tells you the impression share of other advertisers as a proportion of the auctions in which you were also competing."

what does this mean?

If the IS for the campaign shows 65% in the auction insight report, we have received 65 impressions out of what?

Hope you can shed some light.

Cheers
Mudi

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again @mudi p 

Quote:

>>"the way I understood was for every 100 estimated impressions you have actually received 45 impressions and lost 50 and 5 impressions due to lack of budgets and low ranks respectively."

Nope;
These two metrics are two independent metrics, measured separately.  (In mathematics: two independent variables)

Now, if your impression share is 65%  - you have received 65% of the "estimated impressions" in which the ad could be shown. This is a bit confusing since the "estimated"  is so broad. (It is based on the broad match type of the keywords - so theoretically, there is a huge number of queries that could match the keyword and trigger the ad.

Thus - my opinion " the exact mach impression share is a much more accurate metric.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, so, could you please answer to Mudi's first question: 

Quote: 

"My question is about the impression share shown in the auction insights report. In one of my accounts the Impression Share shown in the Adwords interface is 45%. Howver in the auction insight report its 60%. Just want to understand why there is a difference"

I still don't get the reason why the 2 IS are different.

Thx 

G.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I also still dont understand the reason why the 2 IS are different. 

I have the same problem, and i try to contact google support so anyone can explain me why there is such a difference.... in one particular adgroup the IS is 36% and if you go to auction insights the IS is 86%

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.