AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are there any character limits for keywords and negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know if there's any character limits set to keywords and negative keywords?

Cheers,

Michal

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
December 2015

Re: Are there any character limits for keywords and negative keywords?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Michal,

Yes there is character limit in keywords, You can maximum use up to 80 characters and maximum 10 words in keyword.
I agree there is no official documentation but its true, you can check it yourself.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Michal,

There are no documented keyword character limits, as far as I have seen!

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Michal,

Cassie has already cleared you query.

If it was just for general knowledge then its ok. But I suggest not to use very long tail keyword, as too long keyword will have no search volume. And if there is no one searching for that keyword then there is no benefit to add such keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There are no character limits AFAIK - but you will not be able to save keyword strings that are more than 10 words
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Michal,

Yes there is character limit in keywords, You can maximum use up to 80 characters and maximum 10 words in keyword.
I agree there is no official documentation but its true, you can check it yourself.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks Steve and Rakesh for sharing this information from your practical experience.

I remember approx 1 year ago when I was trying to add the user query as my keyword(exact match), I was not able to add and a message something like more than 10 words was preventing me to save; then I cut down few words and used it in phrase match.

Anyway thanks to you both.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone, I will test myself and see.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
As Rakesh said, it's 80 characters maximum for keywords or 10 words. I've actually ran into those limits once and how I know because I've never seen documentation about it.