AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are the search volume in keyword tool accurate?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I am just starting off with online advertising for my small business and considering Google adwords for advertising. I would like to know how accurate is the search volume data from keyword planner tool? I ask as the numbers seem to be repetitive and rounded off. For example: 720, 860, 120 etc.

I understand these will be different for different types of queries but how does the tool give these nos.

Help is appreciated.

KC

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kshitija C
September 2015

Re: Are the search volume in keyword tool accurate?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi KC,

There are many reasons why the traffic estimates are not 'Accurate'

Read under 'How to understand your traffic estimates'

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575

Under 'Traffic your ad gets is different than the keyword Planner's estimates' the first point is

'You recently created an AdWords account: If you're a new advertiser, your estimates are based on historical average data for all advertisers because we don't know anything about your particular business yet. We provide a 'rough average' for your guidance until we know more about how your ads are performing.

This is an important point as you are just starting off with your advertising.

This is a community where you can get a lot of 'accurate' facts, especially after your fist post in the community Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KC,

Find more information about keyword planner statistics and traffic estimates in the link below.

The statistics from keyword planner is just a rough estimate, they are not 100% accurate.

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

HI,K**bleep**ija

Welcome to the Adwords CommunitySmiley Happy

Keyword Planner is an internal tool of Google Adwords.

It gives the historical search data of the keywords in Exact match for paid traffic.

Previously it was known as Keyword Tool

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi KC,

It is my belief that it's actually very accurate, but you should know that the Keyword Planner gives an estimate based on the location and Search Network targeting you've selected and that it's an average for the term over a 12-month period.

Personally I don't think it matters whether or not the numbers are rounded off or up or down. Whenever I use the Keyword Planner to create new ad groups, I always get a good idea of which keywords to use and that's exactly the purpose of the Keyword planner, to give you some good ideas of which keywords to use.

But maybe there's someone in the community with greater knowledge than me, who knows some more about the accuracy Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kshitija C
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi KC,

There are many reasons why the traffic estimates are not 'Accurate'

Read under 'How to understand your traffic estimates'

Under 'Traffic your ad gets is different than the keyword Planner's estimates' the first point is

'You recently created an AdWords account: If you're a new advertiser, your estimates are based on historical average data for all advertisers because we don't know anything about your particular business yet. We provide a 'rough average' for your guidance until we know more about how your ads are performing.

This is an important point as you are just starting off with your advertising.

This is a community where you can get a lot of 'accurate' facts, especially after your fist post in the community Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the detailed. I hadn't thought about it in this way. . I will keep a close eye to see if there are any trends or change in search nos. for my keywords.

KC

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand KC is asking about the search volume data and that has nothing to do with being a new or an old AdWords advertiser.

1. The search volume data is to check how many times a keyword has been used on a monthly basis and it's possible to see the data for the last 12 months! Every advertiser will see the same data if they are checking for the same keyword with the same settings.

2. The traffic estimates however is estimates based on the historical data and is important to KC as a new advertiser, since your account doesn't have any historical data.

So to point it out again, I still think the search volume data is pretty accurate, but if what you really meant was traffic estimates, then no.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

From my experience, matching the keyord planner estimates against real data - the estimates are up to 40 times overstated!

What you will find out very quickly is you can't get hundreds of clicks for 10 cents CPC, but you may get 10 clicks for 25 cents CPC, a big difference when it comes down ROI for adwords.