AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are match types subsets of each other in the keyword tool?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When you use the keyword tool, you can also enable to search different Match Types.  Are these match types subsets of each other?

For example, i enable all Match Types for the keyword - Travel Trips.  Lets say i get these monthly global search results:

Broad:  100

Phrase: 50

Exact: 10

Do these results mean that the Broad 100 results also include Phrases 50 and Exacts 10?  Or are all of these Match Types exclusive of each other?

Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are match types subsets of each other in the keyword tool?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Broad match includes searches from phrase and exact. And Phrase match includes searches from exact matches.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, do you also have a google reference for this?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't have a google's reference but its logical.

Match type options in Keyword Tool show different results

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What are the results for the keyword tools based on?  Whenever I change the Match Type to include all matches, the resulting Ad Groups Suggestions differ greatly - why is this?  I would just expect that regardless of the type of match, the resulting ad groups would all be the same except that it would just show all the match type equivalents....

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello TwoDoor;

Not necessarily;

For example:

Broad match also includes synonyms. (Unlike the other match types)

In exact match the sequence of the words is important, while in broad match, any sequence of words (in the search query) can match the keyword;

TwoDoor wrote:

When you use the keyword tool, you can also enable to search different Match Types.  Are these match types subsets of each other?

For example, i enable all Match Types for the keyword - Travel Trips.  Lets say i get these monthly global search results:

Broad:  100

Phrase: 50

Exact: 10

Do these results mean that the Broad 100 results also include Phrases 50 and Exacts 10?  Or are all of these Match Types exclusive of each other?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Match type options in Keyword Tool show different results

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm not completely sure, but I think Google Tool's results are based on users search queries for a geographic location as well as globally. To better understand Google Keyword Tool follow the link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/147602?hl=en

And to address your next query I would suggest you to understand the Match-types and how they work. You can go through https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

I am sure, after having understanding of Match types you will be able to solve your query.

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Avish, 

I do understand match types.  I am wondering why the keyword tool results are completely different when selecting Phrase and Broad Match Types in comparison to selecting just Broad.  Does the keyword tool perform an AND operation?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

TwoDoor - I have merged your original posts.

Please post only once on each topic, that makes it easier for us to try to help you.

Thank you.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*