AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are in-stream ads pulled if they don't get enough paying views?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I upload an in-stream ad and it doesn't get 'enough' views to enable YouTube to charge, would the advert get pulled? Or in other words, is there a formula that YT uses to stop adverts that don't pay enough? Please forgive if this is a naïve question as a I'm an in-stream newbie!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Are in-stream ads pulled if they don't get enough paying views?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You're welcome, John! If your video is more than 30 sec, a user has to view at least 30 sec for you to be charged. In case your video is less than 30 sec, a user needs to view the entire video for you to be charged.

10 views out of 1000 impressions would give you a VTR of 1% which is still good. You can monitor the metrics VTR (view through rate) & Quartile (length of the video viewed) to measure the effectiveness of your Video campaign, but there isn't a ratio as such to define what's an acceptable number. Just like the search or display network, ads aren't taken down for low click through of view through in this case. More about video ad metrics here.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi John,

I think you're concerned about ads not showing due to low bids. Yes, there's competition (comparatively less though) on YouTube as well and hence you'll have to bid competitively for ads to run. I'd suggest a trial & error method (start with a higher amount and gradually reduce) to settle on an appropriate bid amount and continue from there. More about CPV bidding here.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth
Thanks for that. I was actually more concerned about my ad running okay, but then the viewer not letting it run long enough for YT to charge. I understand that this will happen in lots of cases (and YT would accept that as part of the way it works). Let me explain in an example:
- If my ads played 1,000 times.
- If they're skipped 900 times, leaving 100 viewed.
- Out of those 100 viewed only 10 go on to play enough of the ad to get charged.
My question then is: does YT have a ratio of 'non-skipped (viewed)' ads that is acceptable to them against the number of times the ad starts running? Also, do they have a ratio for the same, but where ads don't run long enough to get charged? Hope that makes sense! Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You're welcome, John! If your video is more than 30 sec, a user has to view at least 30 sec for you to be charged. In case your video is less than 30 sec, a user needs to view the entire video for you to be charged.

10 views out of 1000 impressions would give you a VTR of 1% which is still good. You can monitor the metrics VTR (view through rate) & Quartile (length of the video viewed) to measure the effectiveness of your Video campaign, but there isn't a ratio as such to define what's an acceptable number. Just like the search or display network, ads aren't taken down for low click through of view through in this case. More about video ad metrics here.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Best wishes.