AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are geo modified keywords necessary in a location targeted campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running an adwords campaign for a dentist office with the settings below:

• The campaign is set to target a 20 mile radius around the dentist office and is targeting people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location.
  • Each service (e.g., teeth cleaning) within the campaign has two ad groups. One ad group has keywords and ads without geo terms (e.g. teeth cleaning) and the other has geo modified keywords and ads (e.g. teeth cleaning Kansas City).  

My Question: Is this setup necessary to accomplish my goal of the highest possible quality score? 

-Frank

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Are geo modified keywords necessary in a location targeted campaig

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

The settings you've outlined are fine and should achieve the goal you're after.  All I would suggest you consider is that you use negative Keywords in the non-geo Group that match the positives in your geo-group, e.g. put "Kansas city" in as a negative.  This will ensure the searches on geo terms don't get matched by the non-geo Keywords.

I said "consider" because AdWords does always automatically attempt to match the "best" Keyword to a search term.  By "forcing" it in this way you could actually end up spending more.  It's worth a trial though.

It might also suggest that at some point you consider using two separate Campaigns, moving the "non-geo" Group over into a Campaign targeted only at "People in my targeted location".  Again, it may make little difference but this will at least allow you to control budgets.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

The settings you've outlined are fine and should achieve the goal you're after.  All I would suggest you consider is that you use negative Keywords in the non-geo Group that match the positives in your geo-group, e.g. put "Kansas city" in as a negative.  This will ensure the searches on geo terms don't get matched by the non-geo Keywords.

I said "consider" because AdWords does always automatically attempt to match the "best" Keyword to a search term.  By "forcing" it in this way you could actually end up spending more.  It's worth a trial though.

It might also suggest that at some point you consider using two separate Campaigns, moving the "non-geo" Group over into a Campaign targeted only at "People in my targeted location".  Again, it may make little difference but this will at least allow you to control budgets.

Jon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
What you do need to establish is the fact that you're local. That means either saying "you're within 10 miles" or just "your friendly local". You could just pop in the postcode or the name of a local landmark which would catch the attention as much as anything - and when it comes to dragging eyes from the search results to the top right, catching their attention is what counts.

Because the QS is made up from your click through rate - and upping that puts a big smile on Google's face (coz, like they makes money from that!). Plus, getting imaginative means you can budge your CTR over the 3% hurdle - and once you manage that, you're into the league where click prices plummet because you're generating traffic. Either that, or you keep your bid but your ad rank soars.

Either way, improving the ads is the one thing that makes the Adwords algorithm rumble beneath your feet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon.

If I'm targeting other cities in very close proximity to Kansas City, do you recommend creating an ad group for each city to further improve the quality score?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, I'm all for going as granular as possible - I have no problem with Ad Groups containing just a single Keyword so I'd certainly say you should have Groups for each city although again, I'd probably go with Campaigns for each location to give yourself control over the spend in those separate locations.

Jon