AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are all cookies Google AdWords use are third-party cookies?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone:

I was told that all cookies Google AdWords use are third party cookies, however I am confused when I read about this:

Sometimes a cookie may be set on the domain of the site you are visiting. In the case of our DoubleClick product, a cookie called ‘__gads’ may be set on the domain of the site you are visiting.

This is in this Google help article:Types of cookies used by Google.

Isn't it means sometimes Google Set first party cookies in the domain where visitors are visiting?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are all cookies Google AdWords use are third-party cookies?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

You seem to be confusing certain concepts so let's make things clear. A first party cookie is cookie in the visitors browser using the domain of the visited site (your website ) and a third-party cookie uses a domain ( www.example-site.com)  from another website . If you are using Google Analytics your website will be setting first-party cookies. Most users of AdWords use also Google Analytics.

1) The AdWords product sets cookies if you have enabled on the page the conversion tracking javascript code and a visitor accesses that page . Read more here

The AdWords conversion tracking code uses a Third-Party cookie on googleadservices.com

www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion.js

2) The Google Analytics sets cookies to collect visitor data, they are first-party cookies.

Read this link to understand what Analytics does :

Analytics also sets and reads first-party cookies on your visitors' browsers in order to obtain visitor session and any ad campaign information from the page request.

Also it would help you to read this link , where it is explained how the 3 variants of Google Analytics use cookies. The newest ga.js uses first-party cookies to collect user data.

The ga.js JavaScript library uses first-party cookies to:

• Determine which domain to measure
  • Distinguish unique users
  • Remember the number and time of previous visits
  • Remember traffic source information
  • Determine the start and end of a session
  • Remember the value of visitor-level custom variables

3) The Doubleclick.net feature integrated in the Google Analytics code sets cookies for remarketing. These ones are third-party cookies.

In the same link it is explained that the Remarketing Cookie is a third-party cookie.

For customers that have enabled the Remarketing with Google Analytics feature, a third-party DoubleClick cookie is used to enable remarketing for products like AdWords on the Google Display Network.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Xwolf and Automatic K,

Automatic K's response is mostly true, but it's just a matter of the mechanics. Here's the part that's slightly off:

1) The AdWords product sets cookies if you have enabled on the page the conversion tracking javascript code and a visitor accesses that page . The AdWords conversion tracking code uses a Third-Party cookie on googleadservices.com

AdWords sets a third party cookie when you click on the ad. The AdWords conversion code reads the values of that cookie for proper attribution of the conversion by campaign, ad group, ad and keyword

The first party cookie set by the DoubleClick product is not used for tracking conversions.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I hope that you find my  reaction related to the issue asked by Xwolf .

After reading your last line of the response "The first party cookie set by the DoubleClick product is not used for tracking conversions." I have some questions :

By reading this page , I understand that DoubleClick product can be used for conversion tracking :

"That’s how DoubleClick avoids showing ads the user has already seen. In the same way, cookie IDs allow DoubleClick to log conversions related to ad requests—such as when a user views a DoubleClick ad and later uses the same browser to visit the advertiser’s website and make a purchase."

I am confused as to what to conclude about what the DoubleClick cookies do related to conversions: do they track some conversions or not ?

And I also do not exactly understand what part is "slightly off" . If you could put 2 and 2 together for me I would be grateful. I do not mean to contradict you or anything , I am just a little less informed in these matters and I want to learn.

The third question that pops in my head is : does the doubleclick product write 2 or more cookies in the browser ( for example one for an impression and one for a visit ) ? 

Thank you for your time.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Automatic K,

It's just the timing of when the AdWords cookie gets set. The cookie gets set when you click on the ad. It is a 3rd party cookie for the domain where the AW conversion code resides. When the AW conversion code loads, it reads the cookie data so it can record the conversion and attribute properly to campaign, ad group, ad and keyword that was triggered by the search query.

It's just a technical detail. You wrote, "The AdWords product sets cookies if you have enabled on the page the conversion tracking javascript code and a visitor accesses that page." It's just not accurate. The cookie always gets set, whether you have the conversion script on the page or not, when you cilck on the ad.

What I meant to say about the DoubleClick cookies is they do not play a part in the AdWords conversion code. They may be used in other ways to record conversions. It will set several cookies, both 1st party and 3rd party.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, both petebardo and Automatic K! Great help!