AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Are Placements Necessary For Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I finished for a remarketing campaign some weeks ago for a client but it was not totally helpful as I received only few impressions (My list size was 2000 and targeted area is Brooklyn, NY). Therefore, I added some placements to targeting in the same campaign and since then I am receiving impressions and clicks. My question is quite simple as I just want to know if I am doing it right or targeting the wrong audience instead of Remarketing lists?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are Placements Necessary For Remarketing

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rachel

I think you are doing a bit wrong in case of re-marketing campaign. if you are already targeting a re-marketing list and you have added some placements in it, then there will be to situations:-
1. If your placement bidding option is Bid only then, its a OR condition where any of the targeting methods matches and your ad will be displayed. In this case you are targeting extra users who are visiting the websites that you have manually added.
2. If your placement bidding option is Target and Bid then, its AND condition where both the targeting methods should be fulfilled so that your ad will be displayed. In this case you are targeting to those users who are in your re-marketing list and they are visiting the sites which you have added as managed placements.

So, i suggest that you delete the managed placements and let re-marketing list alone works.

My thoughts!

Abhishek

Re: Are Placements Necessary For Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Abhishek ; I assume that your default setting is "target and bid", and thus the AND condition applies. By that you narrow the number of impressions shown to the user; So, I also would let the ads get as many impressions as possible;

Note that this refers to remarkketing, in which the ad is specific to a user (based on a cookie). In a  "standard display campaign"   - I would set at least two targeting methods;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’