1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

“Approximate CPC (Search)” column

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

“Approximate CPC (Search)” column is missing in the new Keyword planner tool. I only see average CPC and it shows different number than the Approximate CPC in the old Keywords Tool. How can I find the Approximate CPC in the new Keyword planner tool?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: “Approximate CPC (Search)” column

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Robert ! Welcome to the Community !

Those prices are for the exact match of the keywords instead of the broad match from the keyword tool. Don't read to much into those numbers, they are just historical data from the last 12 months, you should run your own test because prices are different for every location / match type / quality score of the keyword.

Please read this article :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en

"With Keyword Tool, we showed you statistics for broad match by default with the ability to get statistics for other match types, like phrase and exact match. With Keyword Planner, you'll get historical statistics only for exact match. "

"

• Approx. CPC (Search): This column has been replaced by the "Avg. CPC" column. You'll get more accurate data in the average cost-per-click column than you did in the approximate cost-per-click column."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Robert ! Welcome to the Community !

Those prices are for the exact match of the keywords instead of the broad match from the keyword tool. Don't read to much into those numbers, they are just historical data from the last 12 months, you should run your own test because prices are different for every location / match type / quality score of the keyword.

Please read this article :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en

"With Keyword Tool, we showed you statistics for broad match by default with the ability to get statistics for other match types, like phrase and exact match. With Keyword Planner, you'll get historical statistics only for exact match. "

"

• Approx. CPC (Search): This column has been replaced by the "Avg. CPC" column. You'll get more accurate data in the average cost-per-click column than you did in the approximate cost-per-click column."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot for your replySmiley Happy - the only problem Im facing is that this number is used in our business model to calculate a price for our service, and now it has dropped from USD 1.55 to USD 1.07 as that is the difference between approximate and average CPC

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you comparing 1 on 1 ? 

1) The same keyword, the same match type

2) The same location target

3) The same languages targeted

Have you used the keyword planner with the "review estimates" button to research all the match types for your keyword ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes same location, language etc - it is all location, all languages, exact match. Im not using this to buy adwords ads or anything. I just use this number for other purposes (calculating paid local ads in CPC that have nothing to do with google) - but now i cant so I will loose 1/3 of my income and that is serious

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, try to give a call to the google support team in this case, maybe they can help . Besides the phone , they also have a chat link on the contact page here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

If they provide a good solution you can come back and post it here, to help others who run into the same problem.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Robert R and Adrian,

Could it have something to do with the fact that the keyword tool standard searches for desktop and laptops?
And the keyword Planner for All devices?

When I search for [black shoes] on the keyword TOOL I get :
- desktop and laptops App CPC : 0.55
- mobile devices App CPC : 0.35

When I search for [black shoes] on the keyword PLANNER I get :
Google Avg CPC : 0.44
Google and search partners : 0.45

0.44 or 0.45 is somewhat median between 0.55 and 0.35

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it could, I forgot about this detail Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello all; 

When Google did the switch to the keyword planner it updated the data; hence the differences in values,

The "traffic estimator" could give also some indication for the cost of CPC based on a specific campaign past performances. (I personally prefer the raw data, based on the keyword planner, since the "traffic estimator" has  an unknown / not reported  margin of error).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’