2.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Approved ads not working on Internet Explorer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a campaign. The advert is working on all browsers but when it appears on IE 10 the ad becomes unclickable. What's happening?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Approved ads not working on Internet Explorer

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Conway,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

This looks like a browser issue to me, as your ads are working fine on other browsers. Mostly clearing cache-cookies would resolve the issue.

On a side note: If you're trying to locate your own ads on Google, I'd suggest using the Ad Preview Tool instead of the live search engine. Here's the explanation from the help center:

"By performing searches that trigger your ad, you'll accumulate impressions without clicks, which can lower your clickthrough rate and prevent your ad from appearing as often as it should. Also, if you repeatedly look for your own ad using Google search but never click on it, you might stop seeing it entirely. That's because Google's system stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in."

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Conway,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

This looks like a browser issue to me, as your ads are working fine on other browsers. Mostly clearing cache-cookies would resolve the issue.

On a side note: If you're trying to locate your own ads on Google, I'd suggest using the Ad Preview Tool instead of the live search engine. Here's the explanation from the help center:

"By performing searches that trigger your ad, you'll accumulate impressions without clicks, which can lower your clickthrough rate and prevent your ad from appearing as often as it should. Also, if you repeatedly look for your own ad using Google search but never click on it, you might stop seeing it entirely. That's because Google's system stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in."

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many Thanks Sumanth. I had assumed it was a browser issue but I have tried on several different devices from different locations (even with cache cleared) and the same problem keeps occurring. I really can't understand it.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Glad to be helpful, Conway!

If you've created ads with the right destination URL that's loads as intended, live ads would also lead to the same page without any problem. Could you provide the search term you're using and your website URL, so that I can check if your ad leads to the intended URL?

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth

The website url is www.kinnie.com/icentre.

We're not using keywords but targeting bu interests - Food & Drink, Internet & Telecom etc.

Conway

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Conway,

So it is a Display Network campaign with Interest Targeting. Are you testing them live on display network websites or on the preview page within the AdWords account? Could you send a screenshot of the ad you're trying to click?

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

screen grab.PNG

Screen grab attached. How do I test it on preview without a keyword? Whenever we've found it on recent versions of IE, that's when we can't click through

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Thanks for the screenshot, Conway!

There isn't a feature in AdWords to preview display ads while they're serving on websites across the display network. However, if you'd like to preview the ad, just to understand how its variations would look, you can use 'view full size display ad' option (screenshot here) within the ads tab. There are chances to locate live ads on websites, but possibilities depend on various factors.

My Question: Are you facing the issue (not being able to click the ad) within your AdWords account or while the ad is actually serving on one of the display network websites?

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

I've checked on the 'view full size display ad' option and all seems fine. The ad doesn't work when actually serving on display networks websites, on certain specific IE browsers (the most recent ones).

Conway

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Thanks again for clarifying the issue Smiley Happy

I'd still say it is a browser issue, as it is experienced on one kind of a browser. One possibility could be that your ads have flash and the browser doesn't support it. It is certainly not an ad serving issue or an AdWords issue. It is unlikely that all IE users experience this issue, as flash is used far & wide these days and hence nothing to worry about. If you're using Analytics, you can have a look at the 'browsers' section after a week or so to confirm the same.

Hope that helps,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar