AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Any tutorial for an Analytics based retargeting campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to create a retargeting campaign which will target users which have created an account (event tracking for this does exist and works) but haven't used my website for a week and are between 24-54 years old. If my understanding is correct I would have do use a list built in Analytics for this. 

I followed https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872 and linked my Analytics Account and enabled the "Remarketing" and
"Advertising Reporting Features".

Then I tried to follow https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3210317 but I am stuck at 10.) because there is no "checkbox to use the
tracking code that’s already on your website".

I tried to select "All users". But then my list later is empty and there is a note that adwords can't find any tracking code on my site. But according to first guide I shouldn't have to add any additional tagging when I want to use the existing Analytics tagging.

I already opened a thread in the "Advanced Features" forum but it seems that my question is to stupid for the "Advanced" group, so I try again in this beginner group. The complete silence for my other question makes me believe that my first approach was completly wrong therefore I would love if somebody could hint me to a tutorial.

Thank you for reading and your help.

P.S.: To all Googlers reading this. I have to express my amaze how hard Google it makes to spend my money on Adwords. The Adwords UI is a mess, the documentation is full of repeating prosa which successfully hides the few relevant pieces of information in a sea of text and support just doesn't exist. Creating a Facebook retargeting campaign was a piece of cake compared to your kafkaeske horror show.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tobias R,

Please be advised that this is a community for advertisers who try help each other when they can spare some time for this purpose.

Now, please select Shared Library / Audiences on the left side navigation panel. The list should appear under Audiences if properly created. In case the error message comes up saying: "We haven't detected the AdWords tag on your website or in your app", then you should fix the issue first. 

If everything is fine, go to your campaign and select the Display Network tab / +Targeting / Select ad group / Add targeting / Interests & remarketing / Select category / and finally Remarketing lists. Now select the list and add it to your campaign. There you have the display remarketing campaign.

Best,

Lakatos

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Tobias,

Thanks for reaching out. 

If your accounts are linked and remarketing is enabled, you can create a list in Google Analytics and select your AdWords account to be the destination. If you are using Google Analytics to create your audience, you don't have to add additional tags. When you first create your list, it is likely that the size is going to be zero since the list will need time to update and build.

The error "we haven't detected the Google Analytics Remarketing functionality on your website"

means that you have created a remarketing list from Analytics account which is linked to your current AdWords account, but there is something wrong with the code implementation on your website, or your Analytics account settings that is causing this error and will not record any users in your remarketing list size. Here is a community post with troubleshooting recommendations.

Hope that helps!  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again @Tobias R,

"But then my list later is empty ... "

Yeah, there might be some definite misunderstanding. Even if everything is done the right way, don't expect your membership > 0. You have just created an empty framework, and the list will go growing as eligible new customers emerge around your site/app.

Best,

Lakatos