AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Any reason to have broad & specific keywords in the same ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any reason to have broad and specific keywords in the same ad group that target similar search terms?

I created an ad group that contain the following keywords, and now at second glance seems redundant:

• +web +design
  • +web +site +design

My thought is the keyword +web +design would trigger for "web site design" so having +web +site +design too seems unnecessary.

Is this assumption correct or incorrect? why?

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick E
November 2015

Re: Any reason to have broad & specific keywords in the same ad gr

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Yes they would target the same keyword queries.

Granulating can be effective when the most broad term has the lower bid., But only one keyword will win the auction based upon Ad rank. Ad rank is a factor of QS, (CTR) Ad extensions and historical relevance of search for those terms ( ie low search volume).

A strategy would be something like this: where as the broadest terms have the lowest bid and the more distinct terms have the higher bid.

Ex:

+Web + Design - Bid $1.00
+Web + Site + Design Bid $1.50

It will still come down to your account specifics, based upon the terms you use, the QS and the ultimate Ad rank assigned. You may want to use the Keyword Query report to determine what terms are actually being caught and then look at your impression share, CTR and QS for each term to see which brings you the best ROI and move forward based upon that data.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick E
November 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Yes they would target the same keyword queries.

Granulating can be effective when the most broad term has the lower bid., But only one keyword will win the auction based upon Ad rank. Ad rank is a factor of QS, (CTR) Ad extensions and historical relevance of search for those terms ( ie low search volume).

A strategy would be something like this: where as the broadest terms have the lowest bid and the more distinct terms have the higher bid.

Ex:

+Web + Design - Bid $1.00
+Web + Site + Design Bid $1.50

It will still come down to your account specifics, based upon the terms you use, the QS and the ultimate Ad rank assigned. You may want to use the Keyword Query report to determine what terms are actually being caught and then look at your impression share, CTR and QS for each term to see which brings you the best ROI and move forward based upon that data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Eric.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

great answer from @Eric Gehler I would like to add something.

A great way to develop your keyword lists is to have 'fishing' ad groups that are set to broader settings
i.e. +web + site +design
they are out there to get all the different keyword variations that have your +words in them
monitor those ad groups for useless words and negative those.
then get any of the successful words and take them out to be in their own targeted 'exact' ad group
i.e. if the keyword 'business web design' is great for you then don't leave it to chance in the fishing ad group.
take it out and make it it's own ad group - nothing wrong with a one keyword ad group but you may also find that 'great business web design' is also good they are very close so same ad group is ok for them
by doing this you have easy bid control over that specific high value word and it is easy to see in your analytics data for it rather than burying it in a busy fishing ad group.

i hope that helps.

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.
You can find me here: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a self-promotional signature.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

I would say I'm doing half of this. I have BMM keywords in ad groups and I've been monitoring the search terms for new negative keywords, i.e. continually expanding negative list.

Could you elaborate on the benefit of pulling out exact match keyword ideas into their own ad groups instead of simply having BMM keywords with a good negative list?

Appreciate the help and thanks for the original reply.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi NIck
Yes absolutely.
If you have an ad group with a few bmm in it and they are getting hits from say 100 different keywords.
you would go through and prune the negatives - great.
BUT you still have a whole lot of keywords mixed in together some good and some average and some unproven yet
We refer to the good ones as gold nuggets
if you leave your gold nuggets in the general bmm ad group then it is harder to clearly see how well that ad group is performing when viewing in GA.
example running a 'maternity clothes' ad group
bunch of similar terms in there
'buy maternity clothes online' and 'maternity clothes online nz' both rock your ROAS every month
if you leave those gold nuggets in there you cannot focus on them as easily as in their own ad group.
generally as your campaigns grow looking at the ad group view in GA is the easiest to see ROAS etc.
if you have all your gold nuggets as their own groups you can follow them to see if they are going up or down
also if you leave your good words in the bmm 'fishing' group then it may prop up its ROAS when really you may already have identified most of the good words in that area and should close down the fishing and move on your budget to test another area.
we always look to have a set % of the budget for fishing and a set % for proven ROAS groups that way you can test while still providing reliable ROI for client/yourself.
with its own ad group you can have specific relevant ads getting you a higher relevance, higher CTR, use a specific landing page = lower CPC - it's all positive basically.
NB: you may want to neg your new gold nugget from the old fishing bmm group also so it is def your target ad group that is triggered

Here is a reliable resource covering it better than I can here: http://www.ppchero.com/heres-why-you-should-separate-match-types-by-ad-group/

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.
You can find me here: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a self-promotional signature.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again. Hopefully last question... Is there any concerns with collisions since the exact match ad group and the BMM ad group could potentially compete for the same search term? Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nick
I wrote so many words there that that point got buried Smiley Happy
Yes there is potential.
i intended to cover that with this:
"NB: you may want to neg your new gold nugget from the old fishing bmm group also so it is def your target ad group that is triggered"
If you take 'maternity clothes online' out of your bmm group and make it it's own exact or very focused group then neg it from the bmm.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Really appreciate it David. Thanks again.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
All good mate that's what the forum is for Smiley Happy