AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Another negative keywords question

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I just read this by petebardo in another thread:

"As for negative match types. Negative broad will block that keyword, synonyms and close variants. Negative phrase match will block queries that contain the phrase in the exact order as your keyword. It will not block variants or synonyms. Negative exact match will block only queries that contain your keywords exactly with no other text."

I am a bit confused because I have been advised many times to include plurals and misspellings in my negative keyword list. If a broad match negative will block synonyms and close variants, then why bother adding variants to the list? Is this just a case where including plurals and misspellings is "insurance"?

Many of my negative keywords are single terms (free, used, digital, and so forth). I have them set as broad match. Do I need to include plurals and mispellings for these, or do I only need to do that for phrase match negatives (e.g. "second hand" and "2nd hand")?

I'm seeing a lot of positive changes now that I'm using negatives. My costs are down, my CTR is up, conversions are up, and my quality scores are the highest they've been. I want to keep doing all I can to further refine things, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fnippy
September 2015

Re: Another negative keywords question

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy;

You are correct: negative keywords do not block misspellings or plurals;

I would recommend reading Neha's article on negative keywords - it explains all various aspects of negative keywords

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I found the below tip from Google articles.

"Pausing or deleting a keyword won't stop one of your active broad-matched keywords from "expanding" to that term. For example, if your ad group contains the broad-matched keywords flowers and tulips, and you pause the keyword tulips, your ads could still potentially show for the search query tulips, since it's similar to the active broad-matched keyword flowers."

Here's the link: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

To my understanding adding negative broad match keywords does not match misspellings, plurals, or close variants.But it is always better to analyse the search terms report and analyse on that.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fnippy
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy;

You are correct: negative keywords do not block misspellings or plurals;

I would recommend reading Neha's article on negative keywords - it explains all various aspects of negative keywords

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. It seems like the more I begin to understand things, the more little technical questions come up in my mind.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Frippy,

It's always nice to see my posts quoted. Looks like I was wrong this time. It's not the first time, and probably won't be the last. Thanks for bringing up the question. I think I learned something new today.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I wouldn't have asked, but you seem to have your stuff together, so I assumed I was wrong. Not trying to single you out, I promise Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Frippy,

I am not offended in the least. I learned something here, and that is always a good thing.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords