AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Another User Can't Get Through the Fist Page to Use the Keyword Tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really do not understand why an AdWords campaign requires an ad and credit card info BEFORE research is completed. I need to use the tool to set my keywords for the ad!!!!

How can I get the research done. And, I did try setting a campaign which I was going to suspend but every time I try and save the information I get a message that 'invalid characters are in the url'....absolutely not true. The url is from my own site and it is 100% correct.

Any other suggestions to get through this first mandatory page so I can use the keyword tool

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Another User Can't Get Through the Fist Page to Use the Keyword To

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Enter your payment/CC details and set up an empty campaign. Immediately pause it. Then you can use the tool as much as you like. You don't have to run anything.

The tool is for AdWords customers only. This is to prevent people using the tool who have no intention of ever using AdWords. I completely understand that it's frustrating when you're setting up your first campaign and it could be done better but unfortunately, that's just the way it is right now.

What I usually recommend is to set up your first campaign using your own brand keyword (company name). Then, either pause it or manage it independently. Then you can use the tool to research for your other more general campaigns.